locked : HRD V6 Logging abandonment - A brief explanation.

Bruce VK2RT

Oh, I thought it was just a technical issue you had with the HRD software Laurie, but it is obviously it is more a personal issue.

Your decision has left me and a lot of others in a deep hole now, thanks for your apology anyway. I just hope someone with the technical ability will rise to the occasion.

Have a happy new year...

DE Bruce
VK2RT

Bruce-

Seriously, they have been remotely killing people's copies of HRD for *daring* to leave a bad review or belonging to the wrong Yahoo group (maybe this one?) - as many as 35 times they have done this (if we believe their numbers).  Want the software you paid for to work?  Delete your bad review.  They also killed a former employee's copy of HRD for providing free support on a Facebook group.

Not to mention what Laurie said about killing JTAlert in one of their builds of software, plus I don't even know what the behind the scenes stuff is.

I'm in the same boat.  Like I said previously, I use HRD 6.3.x and JTAlert.  I feel like I put myself in a hole for buying a using software maintained by such an unethical unscrupulous company as HRDLLC.

73,

Tom KN6Q

Robert Lorenzini

I followed the first 100 pages on QRZ forums, it is now up to 1400 replies
and spread to other outlets. There will be no HRD here now or ever. If you want
an example of how to destroy a business this is a good one. I recommend
DxKeeper for logging.

Bob - wd6dod

On 12/29/2016 2:01 PM, kn6q@... [HamApps] wrote:

[...]

Laurie, will you keep the option under Logging -> Standard ADIF File in any new releases of JTAlertX? This way I can still keep working with JTAlertX and maintain my log in HRD as I will not be dumping HRD.

If this Standard ADIF File option will remain in later releases, will you be opening the file for writing and then closing the file after a successful write rather that keeping the file open while JTAlertX is running?

Thanks Laurie
DE Bruce
VK2RT

KB3TC <kb3tc1@...>

I am also disheartened at the thought that a fellow ham(s) would behave in such a manner.
I equate this type of HRD behavior to those fellows on 75 meters that tell you to get off their frequencies.
Or worse yet, I put them in a class that we all called "CBers" back then.
I went and paid for the new version so I could use my FT991 because the older version didn't support that radio and now look at the mess.
I have four other ham friends that I convinced to use HRD (paid) and believe me, they will be dumping HRD as well after hearing all this.
These guys (HRDLLC) are behaving like 6 year olds.
Well, they will probably be very sorry that they have done themselves in.
Tim, KB3TC, former HRD software user.

On 12/29/2016 5:14 PM, Robert Lorenzini bob@... [HamApps] wrote:

[...]

Ron Wilcox

Not to push this too much, but as some of us have said, give dxlabs a try, I think you will be quite pleased of the support and mentality of it. If you do decide to try it, absolutely make sure that you subscribe to the forum, you will find it refreshing, very positive, with excellent support from Dave. Whatever direction you go, my sincerest wishes that you are able to find a good logging program.

Ron Wilcox  KF7ZN

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 3:27 PM, KB3TC kb3tc1@... [HamApps] <HamApps@...> wrote:

[...]

Avast logo

Bruce VK2RT

Sorry you feel that way Tom, I am very happy with HRD, I think I have found a way to keep HRD and any new updates as well as JTAlertX and any further versions and updates.

When you throw out the baby and the bathwater Tom, make sure I am not standing in the way.

Happy New Year
DE Bruce
VK2RT

Andrew O'Brien <k3ukandy@...>

Guys... I'm an old HRD beta tester..believe me... DX Lab offers WAY more and has excellent support , plus it is FREE.  make the move and enjoy JT Alerts
Andy K3UK

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 6:42 PM, bruce@... [HamApps] <HamApps@...> wrote:

Sorry you feel that way Tom, I am very happy with HRD, I think I have found a way to keep HRD and any new updates as well as JTAlertX and any further versions and updates.

When you throw out the baby and the bathwater Tom, make sure I am not standing in the way.

Happy New Year
DE Bruce
VK2RT

Buddy Ashley

Couldn't agree more. JTAlert works perfectly with DXKeeper, Commander, etc.

73 Buddy WB4M

On 12/29/2016 8:35 PM, 'Andrew O'Brien' k3ukandy@... [HamApps] wrote:

Guys... I'm an old HRD beta tester..believe me... DX Lab offers WAY more and has excellent support , plus it is FREE.  make the move and enjoy JT Alerts
Andy K3UK

Bruce-

I really like the HRD software, so I understand where you are coming from, and I've talked to several people who feel the same way you do.  Also, many people will never hear about all the things they did and buy HRD.  HRD LLC will continue on, and I hope for your sake they become a better company than they have been.

But I totally respect what people like Laurie and DX Engineering are doing.  They are showing way more integrity than HRD LLC ever has.

Happy New Year and 73,

Tom KN6Q

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups08@...>

On 30/12/2016 9:19 AM, bruce@... [HamApps] wrote:

Laurie, will you keep the option under Logging -> Standard ADIF File in any new releases of JTAlertX? This way I can still keep working with JTAlertX and maintain my log in HRD as I will not be dumping HRD.

If this Standard ADIF File option will remain in later releases, will you be opening the file for writing and then closing the file after a successful write rather that keeping the file open while JTAlertX is running?

Thanks Laurie
DE Bruce
VK2RT
Bruce,

ADIF logging will still be available, only HRD V6 logging is being retired.

JTAlert never holds the ADIF file open except during the brief time when a new QSO is added.

For the technically minded, he only other time when the ADIF file is opened is at JTAlert startup and then only long enough to import the entire file into a very-fast memory based database. All B4 checks, Wanted Alert checks and QSO History searches during a JTAlert session are done against that memory-based database and never against the slow un-indexed disk-based ADIF text file. Fast log searches are critical when processing many decodes and producing the alerts in the brief 10 sec window after decode and start of the next TX/RX period. I have coded JTAlert to minimise the delay and provide some time for the operator to react to possible multiple alerts and make a decision which to reply to.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Bruce,

<< Oh, I thought it was just a technical issue you had with the HRD software Laurie, but it is obviously it is more a personal issue.>>

Judging by my run in with HRD, I knew it would not be anything else but an issue with the company/its owners. You should spot my posting in the ‘other’ HRD thread with more info.

I would not use HRD for free.

73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Neal Pollack

Laurie:   You have my vote.

While I purchased and use HRD (before I found out about this stuff),  I completely agree
with you.   Living in America, the basic foundation of our system is that you have
guaranteed rights to freedom of speech, without fear of consequence.
It is illegal for any company to take back a product you have paid for.
That is basically theft.    When they do it because of a customer voicing an opinion,
they are also violating our constitutional rights, a federal law.

Even though I like the functionality of HRD and it's logbook, I will study and find
a new alternative.   After reading all of this, I too refuse to support these bastards.

I see an alarming trend in our hobby that I don't see so much in others;
There are several companies that are behaving like HRD.  LDG tuners is another one.
I received a brand new unit with a manufacturing quality control defect.  I went to the
public support forums on Yahoo Groups and noticed another person had the same issue.
I posted that this is what happened to my unit also, so they must be missing something
in manufacturing inspection.

Suddenly,  I was banned from the groups.   I received an email from Dwayne at LDG
disagreeing with my post.  When I tried to reply and inquire what was going on, I found
that my email was blacklisted also.    Great customer support.    I paid money, had an
immediate problem on receipt of the shipment, and was banned for talking about it.
If that is how LDG, or HRD for that fact, think they will find happy paying customers, well,
SCREW THEM!  They deserve to die, which makes room for new vendors with better
ethics.

I will watch this thread for suggestions on new logging programs.
What I liked about HRD logbook was the ability to upload to almost every
online log, including LOTW, QRZ.com, and eQSL.cc
Hopefully one of the other logging programs can do that also.
Then I can switch and flip the birdie at HRD

Cheers,

Neal   N6YFM

'DGB' <ns9i2016@...>

...and DXLabs does that and more.

73 Dwight NS9I

I will watch this thread for suggestions on new logging programs.
What I liked about HRD logbook was the ability to upload to almost every
online log, including LOTW, QRZ.com, and eQSL.cc
Hopefully one of the other logging programs can do that also.
Then I can switch and flip the birdie at HRD

Cheers,

Neal   N6YFM

Dan Malcolm <dmalcolm24@...>

Neal,

I am on the same search and for the same reasons.  The main recommendation I have received from this forum are: ACLog, Log4OM, and DXKeeper.  So far Log4OM looks to be the winner but DXKeeper is still in the running.  Log4OM will upload to eQSL, LoTW, and QRZ, all of which I use.  It will also upload to ClubLog and HamQTH.  I use QRZ lookup and Log4OM will make use of that also.  There is a learning curve with both.

Good luck, 73, & HPYNY.

_____________________________

Dan Malcolm CFI/II

K4SHQ

[...]

chas cartmel

I use version 5.24.0.38, the final free version as written by Simon Brown G4ELI and ‘updated’ by HRDLLC prior to the release of version 6.t

All the functionality you speak of is in that version also.

73

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

[...]

No virus found in this message.

Dave (NK7Z)

I would wait until the end of today, and see what the "announcement" is, I suspect it will change things.

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z
http://www.nk7z.net

Rick Johnson

WSJT-X / JTAlertX 2.8.7 / DXKeeper 13.8.5

FLDIGI

Excellent!!  Outstanding support?  All free!
How can you beat that?

73,
Rick W3BI

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 11:15 AM, nealix@... [HamApps] <HamApps@...> wrote:

[...]

WB2NVR <wb2nvr@...>

I would encourage anyone looking for a new logging program to consider the DXKeeper Suite.

I've been using it for over ten years, and find that the personal support provided by Dave, AA6YQ is outstanding.
In addition, all questions are encouraged to be posted to the Yahoo group, regardless of how basic or how many
times they may have been asked previously. The group is very friendly, and provides encouragement and ideas that
other members can use.

The DXLabs suite is comprehensive, consisting of logging, rig control, cluster spot management, QSLing (LOTW, eQSL, ClubLog, Global QSL,printing),
automation for applying for awards, propagation prediction, and the ability to customize certain modules to make your ham radio life easier.
For example, you can record your linear or tuner settings for various frequencies, and have the information displayed when you QSY.

Like anything new, it takes time to learn what the suite can do, how to implement it, and how to enjoy using it. This is not a ten minute setup, and
you're an expert OP. If you're at all interested in trying the suite, please take the time to read: Getting Started with DXLab located at
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted

While I'm far from an expert, I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can. Join the yahoo group, mention that you're thinking about using DXLabs,
and you'll be pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome from Dave and the group. It's really how ham radio should be!

Let me add a big thank you to Laurie, who also provides a great program and great support. I can't imagine using WSJTX without JTAlet!

73 ES HNY!

--
Bob Schaps WB2NVR