locked HRD V6 Logging abandonment - A brief explanation.

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups08@...>

After some "soul-searching", I now feel I owe the community an explanation, even if brief, regarding my decision to abandon HRD V6 logging support in JTAlert, especially to those users directly affected by this decision.

"Bottom-Line", I don't want myself or my software to have any sort of association with HRDLLC the company, their policies or their products.

This decision was a long time coming. The draft for the announcement had been sitting in my email draft folder for over 12 months. I came close to making the announcement on two other occasions in that time, but chose to "back-off", primarily because I knew this would affect a large number of JTAlert users and I felt uncomfortable with that.

The "die was cast" when HRDLLC released HRD ver 6.3.0.435 in October 2015. That release contained malicious code that deliberately shutdown JTAlert on a users PC without warning or message to the user that HRD had performed this unauthorised act. Details of this are publicly available within this groups message archives.

There have been several other events
and interactions with HRDLLC over that time that are not publicly known, contributing to this decision,� and I will not be discussing them here or privately.

While the association with HRDLLC was simply that my software had a feature that extended the functionality of HRD in providing a JT65/JT9 logging bridge, I am no longer comfortable supporting (by association) HRDLLC the Company, their policies or their products.

Again,
I sincerely apologise to the affected HRD users.

de Laurie VK3AMA
���

Dan Malcolm <dmalcolm24@...>

Thanks for the explanation Laurie.  For me the apology is unnecessary.  Your decision leaves with a problem, but I will take care of that.  I have had my own issues with HRD and understand your decision completely.

Let me take this opportunity, as we start a new year, to thank you for all of your efforts on our behalf.

_____________________________

Dan Malcolm CFI/II

K4SHQ

[...]

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Bravo!

Hasan

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 2:31 PM, 'Laurie, VK3AMA' groups08@... [HamApps] <HamApps@...> wrote:

[...]

Kl7qw <kl7qw@...>

Laurie
I understand and I am sorry it had to come to this   But I would like to know if you or someone can explain to me how to move my contacts for DX lab after I have a contact to another logging program   I do not understand this stuff  I have to haveu daughter do it for me and she will not be he until after Easter   Tnxs   Dave  KL7QW

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 29, 2016, at 14:31, "'Laurie, VK3AMA' groups08@... [HamApps]" <HamApps@...> wrote:

[...]

Buddy Ashley

Simple,  export your present log to an ADIF file, and import it to the new program.

On 12/29/2016 5:54 PM, Kl7qw kl7qw@... [HamApps] wrote:

Laurie
I understand and I am sorry it had to come to this   But I would like to know if you or someone can explain to me how to move my contacts for DX lab after I have a contact to another logging program   I do not understand this stuff  I have to haveu daughter do it for me and she will not be he until after Easter   Tnxs   Dave  KL7QW

Liz & Tony Buckland

Hi Laurie,

Firstly, many thanks for all your sterling work with JTAlert, it's a fantastic program and much appreciated.

Secondly, if I ditch HRD for Logger32 would it work OK with JTAlert or would DXLog Suite be the better option?

Thanks again.

HNY to you and all our readers.

73 Tony ZL3HAM

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups08@...>

On 30/12/2016 7:44 PM, Liz & Tony Buckland buckland@scorch.co.nz [HamApps] wrote:
Hi Laurie,

Firstly, many thanks for all your sterling work with JTAlert, it's a
fantastic program and much appreciated.

Secondly, if I ditch HRD for Logger32 would it work OK with JTAlert or
would DXLog Suite be the better option?

Thanks again.

HNY to you and all our readers.

73 Tony ZL3HAM
Hi Tony,

Sorry, Logger32 is not supported. I made a couple of attempts in the past, but the propriety format of the database used for its log requires the purchase a very expensive license from the database vendor, and then it is not practical as the engine doesn't support concurrent access to the data tables, the log is opened exclusively by Logger32 while it is running so JTAlert would not be able to run queries against the log even if a license was purchased.

The DXLab suite is supported. DXKeeper was the first logger supported by JTAlert. There are several JTAlert functions that are unique to DXLab. It is what I use for my Logging/DX activities. I have been using it for at least a decade. The support by its author (Dave AA6YQ) is superb. You will never get an unanswered question from the Dave, regardless of how trivial or how often previously asked.

DXKeeper, Log4om and ACLog are all good products and their respective authors all provide excellent end-user support. From a JTAlert perspective, all three are relatively easy to work with due to their use of industry standard and popular database formats which makes my coding activities working with their logs rather painless ;-)

Cheers from across the ditch.
de Laurie VK3AMA

chas cartmel

Laurie

You have my backing 100%.

I have been subject to gross intrusion myself. When I stated that I could see no value added in upgrading from version 5 to version 6 one of their owners emailed me advising that as I was a Private pilot (past hobby) I could afford to buy their software. I responded that they had no right to tell me how to spend my money but was blocked on their forum.

Obnoxious is the word that comes to mind here.

I just wish more people would vote with their feet or wallets.

73

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

[...]

No virus found in this message.

Jim - N4ST

JTAlert dropping support for HRD V6 hits me hard. I have used both programs
almost from day one and the operation of both is totally transparent to my
hamming activities. They are there and provide the functionality that
allows me to enjoy ham radio more fully.

Having been a long-time user of both software sets and peripherally dealing
with said developers, my decision will be to abandon HRD and look elsewhere
for WSJT logging programs. At this point I do not plan to renew my HRD
support (never been as helpful as the HRD forum, anyway). Guess I will be
exploring DX Labs and similar programs.

Great opportunity for a new start-up outfit to "fill the gap".

Laurie - keep on with your excellent support and development process. You
provide a great service to the ham radio community and are a shining example
of amateur radio spirit.

__________
73,
Jim - N4ST

[...]

@Daveq

I am one affected by the HRD logging issue.  I can either move on from HRD or abandon JTAlert.

Last evening I downloaded the DXLab Commander and DXKeeper.  I was able to set it up in under an hour and logging contacts with the support of JTAlert. Uploaded to LoTW and also downloaded from them.  Still have some configs to do but the move was almost seamless.

Have moved on from HRD.  Can't wait for JTAlert 2.9.

73
Dave  W3DLQ

Liz & Tony Buckland

Thanks for the explanation Laurie, I have just downloaded and installed DXLabs suite and will give it a try. It looks a bit daunting but very capable :-).

I will also join the DXLabs forum.

Thanks again.

73 Tony ZL3HAM

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups08@...>

On 31/12/2016 4:51 AM, Liz & Tony Buckland buckland@scorch.co.nz [HamApps] wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Laurie, I have just downloaded and installed
DXLabs suite and will give it a try. It looks a bit daunting but very
capable :-).

I will also join the DXLabs forum.

Thanks again.

73 Tony ZL3HAM
Tony,

I am sure you won't be disappointed. Just don't try and learn all DXLab features in one go and this applies to the features of some of its individual modules (Commander, DXKeeper, SpotCollector). The large feature set can be somewhat overwhelming at first, but you don't need to understand or use them to get started. After a decade of use, I probably only use 20% of DXLabs capabilities, there is one module I never use. You don't have to be an expert to start using the suite. Small steps is the best way IMHO.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups08@...>

On 31/12/2016 1:51 AM, 'Jim - N4ST' newsgroup@jimpricejr.com [HamApps] wrote:
JTAlert dropping support for HRD V6 hits me hard. I have used both programs
almost from day one and the operation of both is totally transparent to my
hamming activities. They are there and provide the functionality that
allows me to enjoy ham radio more fully.

__________
73,
Jim - N4ST
Jim,

Keep in mind, there are unlikely to be any significant features added to JTAlert V2 beyond what is currently available in 2.8.7 which your currently using. I doubt there will be any new feature added to JTAlert V2 that will have you saying "Gee I wish I could use that version". I expect the new JTAlert V3 (still months away) might elicit that reaction, I hope so ;)

My advice, stick with JTAlert 2.8.7 while you have time to consider and explore options with respect to HRD/JTAlert.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bob

Of course HRD is chock-full of features that would be hard to swallow in a single setting too.

The only part of HRD that seems superior to anything else is DM780 for digital modes.  I never cared for WinWarbler as much.  But frankly I've grown tired of the support drama from the HRD staff, so I'm not going to renew this year and will change over to DXLabs.

So in a roundabout way, thanks for giving me a kick in the pants to get me to change.

73, Bob, WB4SON

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below