locked JTAlert Installation

Ed Wilson

Laurie,

I have been using JTAlert for several years now and cannot imagine operating the JT65/JT9 modes without it...thank you again for your efforts in producing this software!

My Computer #1 is running Windows 10 Pro with the big November update (to version 1511). That update required me to re-install some of my ham radio software, but not JTAlert as I recall.

I had problems on Computer #1 when trying to update JTAlert to 2.6.24 and 2.6.25 however. The installer just locks-up and I have to re-start unless I go to "Properties" with a right-click on the installer icon and change it to Windows 7 compatibility. Once installed, JTAlert runs fine on this machine.

Computer #2 is used exclusively for ham radio applications and is running Windows 10 Pro, but without the November update. JTAlert 2.6.25 installs with no problems on this machine.

This experience points to some sort of incompatibility between the JTAlert installer and Windows 10 Pro version 1511 (November update).

Again, JTAlert is working fine for me on both computers once I overcame the installation difficulties on Computer #1.

Ed, K0KC

k0kc@...
http://k0kc.us/

Michael Black

FYI...I'm running 1511 and had no such problems with 2.6.24 or 2.6.25
So it's something unique to your machine.
Did you try to uninstall first at all?

73
Mike W9MDB

[...]

Greg Beam, KI7MT

FWIW, I am on Version 1511 OS build 10586.14, and I've not had any trouble with JT-Alerts at all.

I *did not* have to re-install anything on the box after the November update, things went surprisingly smooth for a Windows update.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

On 11/29/2015 07:59, Black Michael mdblack98@yahoo.com [HamApps] wrote:
[...]

k0kc@arrl.net
http://k0kc.us/

Ed Wilson

Mike,

I did not do an uninstall...not sure what might be unique to this machine, but I am good to go now.

Ed, K0KC

k0kc@...
http://k0kc.us/

[...]

Greg,

Thanks for the info. I rarely use Computer #1 for ham radio...just kinda keep it as a backup for the computer that runs Flex SmartSDR on my local network and for email and web browsing.

Ed, K0KC

k0kc@...
http://k0kc.us/

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups07@...>

On 30/11/2015 3:30 AM, Ed Wilson ed.wilson@... [HamApps] wrote:
Mike,

I did not do an uninstall...not sure what might be unique to this machine, but I am good to go now.

Ed,

It is only in rare cases that an unstall first seems to correct upgrade failures. An upgrade automatically performs an uninstall first before installing the later version, but knowing Microsoft, it may not be a proper uninstall.

Regardless of which method is used, your Config and session files are safe as they are never part of the installer so when the Windows Installer (msiexec) does its thing in removing previously installed files, it is unaware of the Config/Session files so they are never touched.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups07@...>

On 30/11/2015 1:59 AM, Black Michael mdblack98@... [HamApps] wrote:

[...]

I have to agree with Mike, something different about your Computer #1. Regardless, there is no harm done in setting the Installer to use Win7 Compatibility mode. That setting will only apply to the installer and not JTAlert itself. The Installer has the different JTAlert files stored internally and when run, extracts thos files and places them in the appropriate directories, the are no changes to the bundled JTAlert files.

If JTAlert is explicitly set to use a Compatibility mode, there should be no problems.

de Laurie VK3AMA