locked Trojan via download

bbeam11@...

I've downloaded JT Alert 4 times. Each time I run the install I get multiple messages from McAfee that the download includes Trojan threats. As a result I can't get a clean install. 

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a work around?

Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

Bryan, W4HLD

Dan Malcolm <dmalcolm24@...>

JTAlert does not contain a Trojan or any other virus.  McAfee does claim there is a virus. 

There are a couple of workaround’s.  One is to use another anti-virus program.  I use NOD32 and have no trouble with false positives.  The other thing you could try, and I’d recommend trying it first, is to try to set an exclusion for JTAlert in McAfee.  I have heard that some people have luck with this and others don’t.

Good luck.

Dan Malcolm CFI/II

K4SHQ

The 50-50-90 rule:
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance
of getting something right, there's
a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 7:12 PM
To: HamApps@...
Subject: [HamApps] Trojan via download

I've downloaded JT Alert 4 times. Each time I run the install I get multiple messages from McAfee that the download includes Trojan threats. As a result I can't get a clean install. 

Bryan, W4HLD

Jim - N4ST

This issue has been addressed many times in this group.
For reasons unknown to me, JT-Alert gives false triggers on several different virus checkers.
(Some flag it simply because it isn't in their database as a known good program.)
If you look at the web site, Hamapps.com, which is hopefully where you are downloading, you will see that it has been checked by a bunch of virus checkers. There is also an MDS check which you can use to verify that what you have on your computer is what is posted on the website.

______
Jim - N4ST

From: HamApps@yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:HamApps@yahoogroups.com.au]
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 20:12
To: HamApps@yahoogroups.com.au

Bryan, W4HLD

Ag6az <ag6az@...>

It also comes up with Norton 360.  I have not been able to figure out how to permanently get Norton to allow the program. I even listed it an an exception but after some time it will actually delete the .exe file.

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2015, at 8:03 PM, 'Jim - N4ST' newsgroup@... [HamApps] <HamApps@...> wrote:

For reasons unknown to me, JT-Alert gives false triggers on several different virus checkers.
(Some flag it simply because it isn't in their database as a known good program.)
If you look at the web site, Hamapps.com, which is hopefully where you are downloading, you will see that it has been checked by a bunch of virus checkers. There is also an MDS check which you can use to verify that what you have on your computer is what is posted on the website.

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD

laszlo vagner <george@...>

i got same thing from mcaffee, so i deleted mcaffee and installed webroot then got virus warning and no access to "tcptest.exe" but it installed i just cant run the tcp test.

On 4/17/2015 11:03 PM, 'Jim - N4ST' newsgroup@... [HamApps] wrote:

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD

Michael Black

I hate to say this but to be honest the virus check done is on the installation executable which does NOT scan the internal files which are compressed.

However….there is no virus in it anyways. 

Seems every time somebody installs a new version of JTAlert the false positives pop up again.

Mike W9MDB

Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Trojan via download

i got same thing from mcaffee, so i deleted mcaffee and installed webroot then got virus warning and no access to "tcptest.exe" but it installed i just cant run the tcp test.

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD

Michael Black

And to prove my point I just tested JTAlert.exe 2.6.1 on http://www.metascan-online.com and it gets 3 hits from 44 virus scanners.

https://www.metascan-online.com/en/scanresult/file/4f5ffc6fe8264c9dbdbe5fdab84d8715

Tcptest.exe get 11 hits out of 44

https://www.metascan-online.com/en/scanresult/file/08210634e84a42d98522a22c86163f2e

I do believe what they may be identifying is that both programs connect to the outside world which is usually a bad behavior

So every time a new version is out they have to add a new hash exception to override their generic detection.

https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/trojan_w32_generic.shtml

Mike W9MDB

Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:46 AM
Subject: RE: [HamApps] Trojan via download

I hate to say this but to be honest the virus check done is on the installation executable which does NOT scan the internal files which are compressed.

Seems every time somebody installs a new version of JTAlert the false positives pop up again.

Mike W9MDB

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD

signalhz signalhz <signalhz@...>

Because antiviruses are a scam. 

73 Eddy N4ABN

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2015, at 09:46, 'Michael Black' mdblack98@... [HamApps] <HamApps@...> wrote:

Mike W9MDB

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD

David Warnberg <dlwarnberg@...>

Just about every virus scanner says the same.. My question is why can't the software be created so that it does NOT throw a virus alert?

On Apr 18, 2015 10:58 AM, "signalhz signalhz signalhz@... [HamApps]" <HamApps@...> wrote:

73 Eddy N4ABN

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2015, at 09:46, 'Michael Black' mdblack98@... [HamApps] <HamApps@...> wrote:

Mike W9MDB

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD

Michael Black

Because the virus vendors have put in code to detect when a program does something like FTP and such which JTAlert does.

So unless you want to disable the ability of JTAlert to do what it does get a virus program that allows you to do exclusions (most do).

Virus program throw false positives a LOT…not just for JTAlert.  But you probably don't update your other software as much plus JTAlert is a one-off program that won't be pretested by the virus vendors.

Mike W9MDB

Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 12:24 PM

Just about every virus scanner says the same.. My question is why can't the software be created so that it does NOT throw a virus alert?

On Apr 18, 2015 10:58 AM, "signalhz signalhz signalhz@... [HamApps]" <HamApps@...> wrote:

73 Eddy N4ABN

Sent from my iPhone

Mike W9MDB

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD

John Etling

I have a simple solution to this issue….

1.       Don’t use JTAlert if this is of some concern.

2.       Do as I do, use a dedicated machine where all you do is Radio, no surfing, email and the like, install all your REPUTABLE radio related programs and simply do not install a virus program.

3.       Deal with the false positive, report as such, add exclusion and get on with the fun of radio, rather than continued complaining.

I have seen the same statements asked and re-answered multiple times over the last few days, yet some people just will not accept the CORRECT answer given. One cannot program for what the virus programs look for, as that changes so frequently it is near impossible to guess or consider how to write “corrections” every week. It is the VIRUS companies that need to be proactive when a person reports false positives.

LET THE FLAMING OF MY COMMENT/OPINION BEGIN…. feel free to flame but be aware there will be no further responses from me.

73 de K3JAE

John

From: 'Michael Black' mdblack98@... [HamApps] [mailto:HamApps@...]
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 12:27

Because the virus vendors have put in code to detect when a program does something like FTP and such which JTAlert does.

So unless you want to disable the ability of JTAlert to do what it does get a virus program that allows you to do exclusions (most do).

Virus program throw false positives a LOT…not just for JTAlert.  But you probably don't update your other software as much plus JTAlert is a one-off program that won't be pretested by the virus vendors.

Mike W9MDB

73 Eddy N4ABN

Sent from my iPhone

Mike W9MDB

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD

K8TOM

John,

<< ...use a dedicated machine where all you do is Radio, no surfing, email and the like...>

No flaming here, but I AM curious how you keep synchronous your disconnected dedicated radio computer for JT and other time-dependent digital work.  Do you use some other piece of hardware to connect to satellite or something?

Tom
K8TOM

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 12:17 PM, 'John Etling' john@... [HamApps] <HamApps@...> wrote:

I have a simple solution to this issue….

1.       Don’t use JTAlert if this is of some concern.

2.       Do as I do, use a dedicated machine where all you do is Radio, no surfing, email and the like, install all your REPUTABLE radio related programs and simply do not install a virus program.

3.       Deal with the false positive, report as such, add exclusion and get on with the fun of radio, rather than continued complaining.

I have seen the same statements asked and re-answered multiple times over the last few days, yet some people just will not accept the CORRECT answer given. One cannot program for what the virus programs look for, as that changes so frequently it is near impossible to guess or consider how to write “corrections” every week. It is the VIRUS companies that need to be proactive when a person reports false positives.

LET THE FLAMING OF MY COMMENT/OPINION BEGIN…. feel free to flame but be aware there will be no further responses from me.

73 de K3JAE

John

From: 'Michael Black' mdblack98@... [HamApps] [mailto:HamApps@...]
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 12:27

Mike W9MDB

73 Eddy N4ABN

Sent from my iPhone

Mike W9MDB

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD

m_scot_alex

Because Laurie would have to buy programming tools, libraries and security certificates similar to retail software. I'm sure that we would all chip in a couple of thousand dollars each needed to buy these.

Or we simply use Google, learn how the various security packages behave and enjoy JTAlert.

Mike- N8MSA

Sent from my mobile device.

On April 18, 2015 1:24:23 PM "David Warnberg dlwarnberg@... [HamApps]" wrote:

73 Eddy N4ABN

Sent from my iPhone

Mike W9MDB

______
Jim - N4ST

Bryan, W4HLD