locked [Ham-Apps] DXCC Entity Disagreement

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups05@...>

Hi Ed,

There are two different processes at play here.
  1. The country name displayed below the decoded callsigns is determined by examining the callsign. These are a "Best Guess" as they don't involve any actual lookup of the specific callsign.
  2. The country name for your current qso partner, shown in the log fields is first determined as per the first method and then updated with the results of a QRZ XML lookup (if enabled) or from a previous Log entry (if available).

Regarding RW0BT, it is first determined as AS Russsia (dxcc 15). The qrz xml lookup returns EU Russia (dxcc 54). The xml lookup is assumed to be the most accurate. I do note however, that eQSL shows as AS Russia and the HamQTH xml lookup also returns AS Russia. Which is correct?

de Laurie VK3AMA

On 3/08/2013 10:33 PM, Ed Wilson wrote:

Laurie,

I worked a station, RW0BT, this morning and I noticed that in the call sign area (at the top of the window) of JTAlert-X that his DXCC entity showed as Russia (AS) and below that in the log info area, he showed as European Russia. I believe that I have observed this discrepancy with Russian stations before, but I cannot give you specific call signs.

Thanks in advance for looking into this!

Ed, K0KC

Ed Wilson

Laurie,

I located his city on a map to try to determine which area of Russia he is in, but since I do not know the dividing line between Europe and Asia in Russia this is a problem (looks like Asia). I also could try to drop him an email and ask, directly but he may not know English and I only know a few words of Russian. I could also try the JTAlert-X text message capability if I see him on the air again.

I am not sure that all of this is worth the effort since I do not need his DXCC entity for any award...mostly, I was just curious why the two entities disagreed and you explained that adequately.

Thanks!

Ed, K0KC

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

The address is in Krasnoyarsk - Asiatic Russia as is the "User
Supplied" Lat/Lon and grid square in QRZ.com

73,

... Joe, W4TV

________________________________
[...]

Thanks, Joe!

Ed, K0KC

The address is in Krasnoyarsk - Asiatic Russia as is the "User
Supplied" Lat/Lon and grid square in QRZ.com

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 8/4/2013 6:32 AM, Ed Wilson wrote:
> Laurie,
>
> I located his city on a map to try to determine which area of Russia he is in, but since I do not know the dividing line between Europe and Asia in Russia this is a problem (looks like Asia). I also could try to drop him an email and ask, directly but he may not know English and I only know a few words of Russian. I could also try the JTAlert-X text message capability if I see him on the air again.
>
> I am not sure that all of this is worth the effort since I do not need his DXCC entity for any award...mostly, I was just curious why the two entities disagreed and you explained that adequately.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ed, K0KC
>

> ________________________________

chas cartmel

Guys,

I worked that station (RW0BT) a week or so ago so checked the details. I checked his address in the detail section of QRZ and shown here  as Dudinka, NP39cj. Can’t say Asiatic or European though. Logged as European. He seems more southerly on the map from what i remember now so wonder if he was based away from his registered address and didn’t change the call settings.

73

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

The address is in Krasnoyarsk - Asiatic Russia as is the "User
Supplied" Lat/Lon and grid square in QRZ.com

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 8/4/2013 6:32 AM, Ed Wilson wrote:
> Laurie,
>
> I located his city on a map to try to determine which area of Russia he is in, but since I do not know the dividing line between Europe and Asia in Russia this is a problem (looks like Asia). I also could try to drop him an email and ask, directly but he may not know English and I only know a few words of Russian. I could also try the JTAlert-X text message capability if I see him on the air again.
>
> I am not sure that all of this is worth the effort since I do not need his DXCC entity for any award...mostly, I was just curious why the two entities disagreed and you explained that adequately.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ed, K0KC
>

> ________________________________

chas cartmel

One answer on ‘tinternet’ says the dividing line between the two areas is the Ural Mountains. Must check my map when he next comes on.

73

Charlie

ww.G4EST.me.uk

I worked that station (RW0BT) a week or so ago so checked the details. I checked his address in the detail section of QRZ and shown here  as Dudinka, NP39cj. Can’t say Asiatic or European though. Logged as European. He seems more southerly on the map from what i remember now so wonder if he was based away from his registered address and didn’t change the call settings.

The address is in Krasnoyarsk - Asiatic Russia as is the "User
Supplied" Lat/Lon and grid square in QRZ.com

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 8/4/2013 6:32 AM, Ed Wilson wrote:
> Laurie,
>
> I located his city on a map to try to determine which area of Russia he is in, but since I do not know the dividing line between Europe and Asia in Russia this is a problem (looks like Asia). I also could try to drop him an email and ask, directly but he may not know English and I only know a few words of Russian. I could also try the JTAlert-X text message capability if I see him on the air again.
>
> I am not sure that all of this is worth the effort since I do not need his DXCC entity for any award...mostly, I was just curious why the two entities disagreed and you explained that adequately.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ed, K0KC
>

> ________________________________

Jörg Hochheimer, DL6ZBN

Hi every1,

according to his QRZ.com record and to the QSL card which he shows in his record, it's definitely Asiatic Russia.

ITU zone 21 and CQ zone 18 are Asia. On that ITU zone map you see the Europe/Asia border in pink dots, and ITU zone 21 being much farther to the East:

(Source: http://www4.plala.or.jp/nomrax/ITU/zone21.htm )

And the Krasnojarsk Region (RDA: KK-nn) is a Central Asian region. See this on Google Maps:

"A" marks Krasnojarsk region. The red line is (very roughly) the Europe/Asia border.

So... no doubt about him being in Asia.

Hope that helps.

Vy 73 de Joerg "Joe", DL6ZBN

Am 04.08.2013 18:55, schrieb charlie cartmel:

One answer on ‘tinternet’ says the dividing line between the two areas is the Ural Mountains. Must check my map when he next comes on.

73

Charlie

ww.G4EST.me.uk

The address is in Krasnoyarsk - Asiatic Russia as is the "User
Supplied" Lat/Lon and grid square in QRZ.com

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 8/4/2013 6:32 AM, Ed Wilson wrote:
> Laurie,
>
> I located his city on a map to try to determine which area of Russia he is in, but since I do not know the dividing line between Europe and Asia in Russia this is a problem (looks like Asia). I also could try to drop him an email and ask, directly but he may not know English and I only know a few words of Russian. I could also try the JTAlert-X text message capability if I see him on the air again.
>
> I am not sure that all of this is worth the effort since I do not need his DXCC entity for any award...mostly, I was just curious why the two entities disagreed and you explained that adequately.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ed, K0KC
>

> ________________________________

Ed Wilson

Thanks Jörg, more information than I ever expected to receive, but it might be useful to others who need Asiatic Russia for an award.

Ed, K0KC

I worked that station (RW0BT) a week or so ago so checked the details. I checked his address in the detail section of QRZ and shown here  as Dudinka, NP39cj. Can’t say Asiatic or European though. Logged as European. He seems more southerly on the map from what i remember now so wonder if he was based away from his registered address and didn’t change the call settings.

73
Charlie

The address is in Krasnoyarsk - Asiatic Russia as is the "User
Supplied" Lat/Lon and grid square in QRZ.com

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 8/4/2013 6:32 AM, Ed Wilson wrote:
> Laurie,
>
> I located his city on a map to try to determine which area of Russia he is in, but since I do not know the dividing line between Europe and Asia in Russia this is a problem (looks like Asia). I also could try to drop him an email and ask, directly but he may not know English and I only know a few words of Russian. I could also try the JTAlert-X text message capability if I see him on the air again.
>
> I am not sure that all of this is worth the effort since I do not need his DXCC entity for any award...mostly, I was just curious why the two entities disagreed and you explained that adequately.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ed, K0KC
>

> ________________________________

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups05@...>

His QRZ XML record is wrong. Note the EU Russia DXCC Code.

"http://xmldata.qrz.com">

RW0BT
UA0BDW
54
Valery S.
Zorin
Shorsa 21-B-31
Dudinka 647005
Russia
69.395000
86.206667
NP39cj
de Laurie VK3AMA

Jörg Hochheimer, DL6ZBN

Hm... strange. I see what you mean. I just realized that when you click the Russian flag next to his call sign on the QRZ page, it is linked to the "Russia" record instead of "Asiatic Russia", which would be DXCC entity #15.

The DXCC entity is automagically set upon registration of the call sign, so I suppose when this was done, something went wrong. I just looked up a non existent call RW0BX, and QRZ.com suggested it would be a call sign from Asiatic Russia, which would be correct.

Vy 73 de Joerg "Joe", DL6ZBN