locked [Ham-Apps] JT-Alert 1.5.9 available - MixW logging & bug-fixes


BuDJie
 

Hi Laurie...d/l and installed 1.5.9.....when i try to start it from the icon it is very slow....when it does start it starts 2-3 copies...kill all the copies and it will start by itself soon after killing
there has been another update to Wine 1.3 so im not sure if it is that that is causing the problem
1.5.8 is now also slow

73 David VK4BDJ












On 05/01/12 18:58, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:
 

JT-Alert 1.5.9 is available for download from
http://ham-apps.com/dnl/JT-Alert/JT-Alert_1.5.9_Setup.exe

Important: If using MixW logging. MixW must not be running.

From the release notes:
  New Features:
    - MixW logging & B4 checking (CSV format logs only).
    - WAS & DXCC update from Log Scan support for MixW.
    - Option to enable JT65-HF Multi Decoder after JT-Alert Halt TX activated.
  Changes:
    - Improved log scanning (WAS & DXCC) speed.
  Fixes:
    - Random alerting on old decodes from previous minute.
    - False appearing beside callsign when no callsign databases selected.
    - Random fail to close some auto-start applications.
    - 1.5.8 startup crash for new installs or pre 1.5.x upgrades.


Please post questions to the Ham-Apps Yahoo Group.
Please don't reply to this message with your questions.

de Laurie, VK3AMA



Laurie, VK3AMA <groups03@...>
 

Sorry David,

I didn't test under Wine. I'll do that tomorrow.

It is unclear how it could be starting 2-3 copies as the code detects if JT-Alert is already running and prevents a new instance from running.

de Laurie, VK3AMA


On 05-January-2012 20:32, David wrote:
Hi Laurie...d/l and installed 1.5.9.....when i try to start it from the icon it is very slow....when it does start it starts 2-3 copies...kill all the copies and it will start by itself soon after killing
there has been another update to Wine 1.3 so im not sure if it is that that is causing the problem
1.5.8 is now also slow

73 David VK4BDJ


On 05/01/12 18:58, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:
 

JT-Alert 1.5.9 is available for download from
http://ham-apps.com/dnl/JT-Alert/JT-Alert_1.5.9_Setup.exe

Important: If using MixW logging. MixW must not be running.

From the release notes:
  New Features:
    - MixW logging & B4 checking (CSV format logs only).
    - WAS & DXCC update from Log Scan support for MixW.
    - Option to enable JT65-HF Multi Decoder after JT-Alert Halt TX activated.
  Changes:
    - Improved log scanning (WAS & DXCC) speed.
  Fixes:
    - Random alerting on old decodes from previous minute.
    - False appearing beside callsign when no callsign databases selected.
    - Random fail to close some auto-start applications.
    - 1.5.8 startup crash for new installs or pre 1.5.x upgrades.


Please post questions to the Ham-Apps Yahoo Group.
Please don't reply to this message with your questions.

de Laurie, VK3AMA


Laurie, VK3AMA <groups03@...>
 

David,

Just now tested OK under Ubuntu 10.04

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 05-January-2012 20:32, David wrote:
Hi Laurie...d/l and installed 1.5.9.....when i try to start it from the icon it is very slow....when it does start it starts 2-3 copies...kill all the copies and it will start by itself soon after killing
there has been another update to Wine 1.3 so im not sure if it is that that is causing the problem
1.5.8 is now also slow

73 David VK4BDJ
_,___


BuDJie
 

Laurie...running Ubuntu 11.10 with Wine1.3.36
cutting edge...think the problem may be Wine...
uninstalled 1.5.9 reinstalled 1.5.2 then 1.5.8 which was ok but now comes up with a Wine Error message...

dont panic ...i'll do some more testing tomorrow

David




On 05/01/12 19:55, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:
 

David,

Just now tested OK under Ubuntu 10.04

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 05-January-2012 20:32, David wrote:

Hi Laurie...d/l and installed 1.5.9.....when i try to start it from the icon it is very slow....when it does start it starts 2-3 copies...kill all the copies and it will start by itself soon after killing
there has been another update to Wine 1.3 so im not sure if it is that that is causing the problem
1.5.8 is now also slow

73 David VK4BDJ
_,___


BuDJie
 

Laurie.....have been able to get 1.5.8 to work by going into the JTAlert dir and
removing  1.5.9 exe file then reinstalling 1.5.8...seems the uninstall for 1.5.9
isnt working too well...1.5.9 wont work too well either..

will do more testing

David




On 05/01/12 20:04, David wrote:
 

Laurie...running Ubuntu 11.10 with Wine1.3.36
cutting edge...think the problem may be Wine...
uninstalled 1.5.9 reinstalled 1.5.2 then 1.5.8 which was ok but now comes up with a Wine Error message...

dont panic ...i'll do some more testing tomorrow

David




On 05/01/12 19:55, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:

 

David,

Just now tested OK under Ubuntu 10.04

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 05-January-2012 20:32, David wrote:

Hi Laurie...d/l and installed 1.5.9.....when i try to start it from the icon it is very slow....when it does start it starts 2-3 copies...kill all the copies and it will start by itself soon after killing
there has been another update to Wine 1.3 so im not sure if it is that that is causing the problem
1.5.8 is now also slow

73 David VK4BDJ
_,___



BuDJie
 

Laurie...have now got 1.5.9 working but it takes 30 sec to load once i click on the desktop icon....1.5.8 used to take about 10 sec to load

David





On 05/01/12 20:26, David wrote:
Laurie.....have been able to get 1.5.8 to work by going into the JTAlert dir and
removing  1.5.9 exe file then reinstalling 1.5.8...seems the uninstall for 1.5.9
isnt working too well...1.5.9 wont work too well either..

will do more testing

David




On 05/01/12 20:04, David wrote:
 

Laurie...running Ubuntu 11.10 with Wine1.3.36
cutting edge...think the problem may be Wine...
uninstalled 1.5.9 reinstalled 1.5.2 then 1.5.8 which was ok but now comes up with a Wine Error message...

dont panic ...i'll do some more testing tomorrow

David




On 05/01/12 19:55, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:

 

David,

Just now tested OK under Ubuntu 10.04

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 05-January-2012 20:32, David wrote:

Hi Laurie...d/l and installed 1.5.9.....when i try to start it from the icon it is very slow....when it does start it starts 2-3 copies...kill all the copies and it will start by itself soon after killing
there has been another update to Wine 1.3 so im not sure if it is that that is causing the problem
1.5.8 is now also slow

73 David VK4BDJ
_,___




Laurie, VK3AMA <groups03@...>
 

Hi Dave,

I can confirm that under Wine (not Windows) 1.5.9 does indeed take much longer to load than 1.5.8.

One of the internal changes to JT-Alert with 1.5.9 was the order in which certain dll files are loaded, specifically, the dll for sqlite support. This dll load was moved to the start of the JT-Alert code (before the GUI is painted to the screen) and appears to be the cause of the observed delay.

I just ran some tests with the sqlite dll load moved to after the GUI painting, while the delay in loading sqlite is still there, it is not apparent since the GUi is now showing. I will email you direct a link to a replacement executable file to test.

Regarding you observation that JT-Alert has typically been slow to load. I believe this is due to the use of Wine. Under Windows and Wine, whenever windows api functions get run, they will often require the loading of specific dll files into memory (eg. user32, kernal32, etc). Once those dlls are loaded, any later function calls are very fast to run as the dll is already in memory. Windows will typically have most of these standard dlls already loaded into memory as the result of having Windows running and other windows programs generating function calls that load the dlls before JT-Alert is even started, so there are none of these dll loading from disk to memory delays when running JT-Alert. However under Wine, most of these dlls are not pre-loaded and only get loaded when JT-ALert makes a specific function call. I believe this is the cause of the slow JT-Alert startup.

de Laurie, VK3AMA


On 06-January-2012 08:16, David wrote:
Laurie...have now got 1.5.9 working but it takes 30 sec to load once i click on the desktop icon....1.5.8 used to take about 10 sec to load

David