Topics

locked New JTAlert 2.15.1

Barry

Laurie
Here at home I have a Rasp pi running on my LAN
which is an AIS monitor that feeds spots to MarineTraffic.
Shortly after upgrading to .15.0 I received the following Access Denied
screen banner:

This resolved itself after a couple days.
I then upgraded to 2.15.1 and the same thing has happened again.
Is there something that you are aware of that could be triggering this?
Should I drop back to 2.14.5
TVM
Barry

Michael Black

You're talking about two different devices on your network.

Can't think of anyway JTAlert would be related to MarineTraffic -- I have one of those units too.

de Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, November 9, 2019, 10:53:41 AM CST, Barry via Groups.Io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

Laurie
Here at home I have a Rasp pi running on my LAN
which is an AIS monitor that feeds spots to MarineTraffic.
Shortly after upgrading to .15.0 I received the following Access Denied
screen banner:

This resolved itself after a couple days.
I then upgraded to 2.15.1 and the same thing has happened again.
Is there something that you are aware of that could be triggering this?
Should I drop back to 2.14.5
TVM
Barry

Barry

Mike
Yes I am talking about two different devices on the same LAN.
MarineTraffic's explanation for denying me access is
QUOTE

Christiana Ladopoulou (MarineTraffic Support)

Nov 1, 16:41 EET

Dear Barry.

Thank you for contacting MarineTraffic Support.
I am sorry to learn that you are facing this issue with our website, but I am here to assist you to the best of my abilities.

We have looked into this and we have found out that our security systems have picked up on some unusual traffic from your network, therefore, for security reasons, our system has automatically blocked your IP address for a period of 24 hours.
Once the 24 hours pass, your IP will be automatically unblocked. In the event that the activity that triggered this ban reoccurs, kindly note that the system will ban your IP address for another 24 hours.

Could you think of an activity you might be doing that is generating unusual traffic?
Any additional information would greatly help me investigate this further for you.

Thank you in advance for your response.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Christiana Ladopoulou
MarineTraffic

Michael Black

Would help if they could give you some more information on the traffic they're seeing. Ports at least and any packet info

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 11:21 AM, Barry via Groups.Io
<boat.anchor@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes we both have the COMAR unit so there should be next to no difference in the setup.
JTAlert 2.15.0 was recently released as well as SLR350Ni_v_1_5_4_final was released
a couple weeks ago. This is when this started. I am back on line with MarineTraffic again.
My MarineTraffic Support ticket number is 127284 if it helps.
cheers
Barry

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 09:16 AM, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

W9MDB

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/11/2019 4:21 am, Barry via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Pity the MarineTraffic people didn't list what traffic they deemed unusual enough to block your IP. What ports were involved, the amount of data, what sort of connection, http, https, etc, destination IPs.

JTAlert 2.15.0 introduced new ports for accessing HamSpots spotting, Text messages and BandData. Each time JTAlert is started the ports used for each of these services is changed (a random selection from a fixed list of 4 possible ports). Perhaps it is this randomly changing port that is an issue for them? The random port selection is done to provide load-balancing on the Server.

Also changed was the frequency of spot uploads and banddata downloads, changing from once a minute to twice a minute (after 2 FT8 periods). Perhaps they didn't like that. The volume of data is not significant, we are talking in the region of a couple of hundred bytes per request.

Or maybe MarineTraffic was in error when blocking your IP and have not disclosed the anomalous activity they claim to have observed because they are wrong and will not admit it. If there is a genuine problem, they should be advising the nature of the problem rather than keeping that info to themselves. At this time it is pure guesswork as to the nature of the problem.

Perhaps there is a port collision between the new ports used by JTAlert and what MarineTraffic is using. Is there a configurable port(s) used by your MarineTraffic app? If there is a port collision I would expect MarineTraffic support to say so.

It wouldn't matter unless JTAlert was sending data to marinetraffic.com.  Wouldn't matter if they both used the same port...two different IPs can't collide unless it's multicast and  or unicast to the same machine and I doubt either of those situations is happening.

I have a marinetraffic receiver too and no such problems.  I think this was just coincidental with JTAlert upgrades since they've been coming fast and furious lately so good chance of coincidental blaming.

Without more info from marinetraffic on what was being sent we'll never know what the problem was.

Mike

On 10/11/2019 4:06 pm, Michael Black via Groups.Io wrote:
It wouldn't matter unless JTAlert was sending data to marinetraffic.com.  Wouldn't matter if they both used the same port...two different IPs can't collide unless it's multicast and  or unicast to the same machine and I doubt either of those situations is happening.

I have a marinetraffic receiver too and no such problems.  I think this was just coincidental with JTAlert upgrades since they've been coming fast and furious lately so good chance of coincidental blaming.

Without more info from marinetraffic on what was being sent we'll never know what the problem was.

Mike

Mike,

Your correct in what you say. I was thinking that perhaps there are port collisions on the localhost between JTAlert and the MarineTraffic app. Since I saw mention of MarineTraffic hardware I was thinking (without have done any research) that perhaps that hardware was routing all network traffic, both MarineTraffic and Internet, acting like a router.

Since your using this system without the problems reported I am confident any connection to JTAlert is coincidental.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Barry

Laurie
I have reverted to 2.14.5 for a couple days and will try 2.15.12 again in the new week.
TVM
Barry

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 05:01 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
Perhaps there is a port collision between the new ports used by JTAlert
and what MarineTraffic is using. Is there a configurable port(s) used by
your MarineTraffic app? If there is a port collision I would expect
MarineTraffic support to say so.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Barry

Mike
You will also note in earlier msg that MT updated their SW on the COMAR box recently as well.
TVM
Barry

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 09:06 PM, Michael Black wrote:
[...]

SRI TYPO

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 09:52 AM, Barry wrote:
Laurie
I have reverted to 2.14.5 for a couple days and will try 2.15.2 again in the new week.