Topics

locked Read aloud callsigns

David Simpson

Hello, I wonder whether it may be possible on future versions to enable the callsign of received stations to be read out aloud? This would assist the visually impaired. Cheers David

Joe Roper

In theory that would be nice for the visually impaired, but in practice I feel that would cause a cacaphony when you have 10-15 stations decoding at the same time.  Even if it spoke each callsign sequentially, it may not get through all of them before the next decode cycle.  Not sure how Laurie feels about it, just my 2 cents worth.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/10/2019 7:06 pm, David Simpson wrote:
Hello, I wonder whether it may be possible on future versions to enable the callsign of received stations to be read out aloud? This would assist the visually impaired. Cheers David

David,

I have some concerns about the suitability of such a feature when decoding several stations with each period. Announcing multiple callsigns, with sufficient time between letters and individual callsigns would easily extend into the next decode period even on the less busy bands. Announcing one or two callsigns would IMO be the practical limit.

How would you expect this to behave?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Don Lewis

I am trying to figure out how it would be possible for my blind friend, N0HAU, would be able to use this mode at all. These two programs work wonderful together but for him it would have to be a different program (s).
de Don, KE0EE

David Simpson

Thanks for your response Don.

My friend Eddie, XV1X is located in Hanoi, has an excellent radio set up, and has impairment of his vision down to about 2 or 3%. I visited him on Friday before coming back to Australia and I spoke with him today about this issue.

Eddie uses FT 8 on WSJT-X by using keyboard shortcuts, however he is not able to read the callsign of stations that are calling him when he sends a CQ. With his limited vision he can see some colours, enough to know that stations are calling him. And he is able to respond to those stations without knowing who they are.

Eddie wondered whether it could be possible for the program to read out the bottom line only in the right-hand windowpane (RX Frequency). This would give him some information about the responding station.

Thank you for your assistance

Regards

David Simpson

VK3DWS

On 21/10/2019 7:06 pm, David Simpson wrote:

Hello, I wonder whether it may be possible on future versions to enable the callsign of received stations to be read out aloud? This would assist the visually impaired. Cheers David

David,

I have some concerns about the suitability of such a feature when decoding several stations with each period. Announcing multiple callsigns, with sufficient time between letters and individual callsigns would easily extend into the next decode period even on the less busy bands. Announcing one or two callsigns would IMO be the practical limit.

How would you expect this to behave?

I've got a program that reads the ALL.TXT file and I should be able to modify it to speak the callsign of a QSO partner.

I'll work on that and let you know.

de Mike W9MDB

Thanks Laurie,

On 22/10/2019 7:25 pm, David Simpson wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the clarification on what you were requesting.

Firstly, Kudos to XV1X for operating FT8 with that level of visual impairment. Personally, I doubt I would ever attempt to operate at all if my vision was so impaired.

My thoughts... Rather than adding automated announcing of callsigns calling, which with multi-signal decoding of the passband could still create an overwhelming amount of sounds to play, I propose playing the callsigns on demand (via one or more hotkeys / keyboard shortcuts). Perhaps the following keyboard activated announcements...
  • Play Current QSO partner Callsign.
  • Cycle through each calling Callsign individually, via repeated keyboard command.
  • Play one calling Callsign only (if there are multiples) that has the highest SNR signal (or lowest depending on a user setting)
Your thoughts?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Rich - K1HTV

David,
  There is a program called QLog which, in conjunction with WSJT-X, will allow blind and visually impaired Hams to work FT8 and a number of other WSJT-X modes. Commands are presently input via keyboard with a number of shortcut keys. A screen reader is normally not used once QLog is up and running as all voice alerts, instructions and QSO progress messaged are voiced using you computer's main sound card, the same one used for Windows sounds.

With QLog the user has a number of options:
1 Answer the first station calling CQ that passes a number of filters that the user has set, such as All Time New One, DX Only, New Band or Mode, QSL by LOTW,  exceeds a SNR Signal to Noise dB threshold level, et cetera.
2 Call CQ and answer the first station who responds.
3 Select one or more stations, countries or grids of list of decoded stations. Each call is announced along with the station's country, his grid, SNR level and if he is transmitting the odd or even sequence. The user selects which station or stations he is interested in answering on their next decoded CQ.
4 Use the Fox/Hound mode to work DXpeditions as a hound.
5 Participate in a number of contests and special events such as Field Day, VHF contests and the RTTY Roundup.

The QLog program with voice assist has been under development since early this year and has been rigorously tested by a team of blind beta testers. We meet via teleconference each week to discuss bugs found, how the latest version is working and how QLog can be improved. A number of our blind beta testers have successfully worked many dozens of countries, with some approaching DXCC. Others have almost completed working all States using QLog with WSJT-X. The fully functional version of QLog is now available to members of the QLOGUsers@groups.io  group .

The important thing to note is that before QLog can be used, the station must have successfully completed FT8 contacts using WSJT-X. Only then should QLog be run and used to make digital QSOs.
There are voice prompts throughout the QSO sequence with auto logging at the end of a QSO. The log can be exported as an ADIF file.
If you are user of QRZ.COM, ClubLog or eQSL each completed QSO can be automatically uploaded to those sites. The QLog program has been well documented with a user's Manual  as well as a setup manual for your sighted help who should be familiar with the setup and operation of WSJT-X.

Anyone interested in downloading and using QLog, send an email to

QLogusers+subscribe@groups.io

You will be contacted by the administrator and given info on how to proceed to download the QLog.exe program as well as the various help files. The website where the executable program and other files can be found is  QLogusers@groups.io  in the files folder.

73,
Rich - K1HTV
www.qrz.com/db/K1HTV

David Simpson

Thank you very much for your response Rich. That sounds fantastic and very hopeful. I have managed to download the program and I will experiment with this over the next few days.

Your support (and the support of others in this group) on this topic is very much appreciated.

Regards

David VK3DWS

[...]

Thank you very much for your response Mike W9MDB.

I have received another response from Rich and I am currently experimenting with QLog. So perhaps to save you some time and effort, I could let you know if I still need your assistance after I play around with QLog.

Your assistance is very much appreciated and thanks again

Regards

David VK3DWS