locked Sudden burst in JT9 activity. Why?

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

I have noticed over the last 2 days, a significant increase in JT9 activity as shown in the JTAlert Band Activity popup and on HamSpots and PSKReporter. Is there a JT9 specific contest on at the moment?

As I type this message 19:30 utc, the daily peak in PSKReporter activity, the top 3 reported modes (last 2 hours) on PSKReporter are FT8, FT4, JT9.

Does anyone know the reason for the sudden increase?

de Laurie VK3AMA

g4wjs

On 25/08/2019 20:43, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
Does anyone know the reason for the sudden increase?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Hi Laurie,

Russian JT9 activity w/e.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill
G4WJS.

chris g7ogx

Best wishes and thanks so much for your software. 73 Chris G7OGX

No trees were harmed with the sending of this message, just billions of electrons – terribly confused!

I have noticed over the last 2 days, a significant increase in JT9 activity as shown in the JTAlert Band Activity popup and on HamSpots and PSKReporter. Is there a JT9 specific contest on at the moment?

As I type this message 19:30 utc, the daily peak in PSKReporter activity, the top 3 reported modes (last 2 hours) on PSKReporter are FT8, FT4, JT9.

Does anyone know the reason for the sudden increase?

de Laurie VK3AMA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 26/08/2019 5:45 am, g4wjs wrote:

Hi Laurie,

Russian JT9 activity w/e.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

RR73

Jim Brown

Is it possible that hams have RTFM and realized that it's greatly superior mode for weak signal work, especially at lower frequencies? I would LOVE to see it much more widely used on 160M for weak signal work. EU is very tough on 160M from NorCal; the 4 dB or so advantage of JT9 over FT8 would help a lot!

73, Jim K9YC

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 12:43 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
I have noticed over the last 2 days, a significant increase in JT9 activity as shown in the JTAlert Band Activity popup and on HamSpots and PSKReporter. Is there a JT9 specific contest on at the moment?

As I type this message 19:30 utc, the daily peak in PSKReporter activity, the top 3 reported modes (last 2 hours) on PSKReporter are FT8, FT4, JT9.

Does anyone know the reason for the sudden increase?

de Laurie VK3AMA

chas cartmel

Well said Jim.
JT9 is my favourite WS mode but everything has been dead since FT8 raised it’s (ugly) head and killed both JT9 and JT65.

Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Is it possible that hams have RTFM and realized that it's greatly superior mode for weak signal work, especially at lower frequencies? I would LOVE to see it much more widely used on 160M for weak signal work. EU is very tough on 160M from NorCal; the 4 dB or so advantage of JT9 over FT8 would help a lot!

73, Jim K9YC

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 12:43 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

I have noticed over the last 2 days, a significant increase in JT9 activity as shown in the JTAlert Band Activity popup and on HamSpots and PSKReporter. Is there a JT9 specific contest on at the moment?

As I type this message 19:30 utc, the daily peak in PSKReporter activity, the top 3 reported modes (last 2 hours) on PSKReporter are FT8, FT4, JT9.

Does anyone know the reason for the sudden increase?

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Carter

On 8/26/2019 5:44 AM, chas cartmel wrote:

Well said Jim.
JT9 is my favourite WS mode but everything has been dead since FT8 raised it???s (ugly) head and killed both JT9 and JT65.

??

??

Sadly, I agree with you. FT8 is like playing a game of "Whack-a-Mole".