Topics

locked JTAlert not Keeping up

Dwight Bosselman

When I have a bunch of successive FT4 QSO's JTA don't keep up. Even some times there will be some green ones displayed with no call in them.

Do I not have something set right?

thanks 73 Dwight NS9I

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 24/07/2019 8:57 am, Dwight Bosselman wrote:
When I have a bunch of successive FT4 QSO's JTA don't keep up. Even some times there will be some green ones displayed with no call in them.

Do I not have something set right?

thanks 73 Dwight NS9I
Yes, your running a version of JTAlert that is not fully 100% FT4 compatible.

The Callsign clearing happens at 15 sec intervals (aka FT8) so there will be old callsigns displayed and other anomalous display depending on the period. You will have to live with the partial FT4 support in JTAlert until the new 2.14.0 release is made public.
See the previous message, posted 3 days ago, about FT4 support... https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/24785

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dwight Bosselman

I read that and am running 2.13.10 Build 0008 for your info. Sri.

73 Dwight NS9I

On 24/07/2019 8:57 am, Dwight Bosselman wrote:
When I have a bunch of successive FT4 QSO's JTA don't keep up. Even some times there will be some green ones displayed with no call in them.

Do I not have something set right?

thanks 73 Dwight NS9I
Yes, your running a version of JTAlert that is not fully 100% FT4 compatible.

The Callsign clearing happens at 15 sec intervals (aka FT8) so there will be old callsigns displayed and other anomalous display depending on the period. You will have to live with the partial FT4 support in JTAlert until the new 2.14.0 release is made public.
See the previous message, posted 3 days ago, about FT4 support... https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/24785

de Laurie VK3AMA

John Petrocelli

Hello,

   Here is something that MAY BE related.

   Normally on the left side of the JTAlert display it may indicate "New Band" (for example) for a particular callsign.  After working that station I would expect to see it change to "Worked B4" after the logging.  However, it does not change when using FT4.  Yet at the top the "shading" will reflect the "B4" status along with a "B4" after the station's callsign.  It does not seem how long I wait.

When running FT8 the status will change from "New Band" to "Worked B4".
Wondering if this is an anomaly.

  BTW, I am running Win7 64 bit and the latest versions of WSJT-X and JTAlert.

  Just on another note.....
    With FT8 (for example) clicking on a callsign in the JTAlert window that is NOT A CQ, will simply setup the offset and etc in WSJT-X  --   As Expected
    With FT4 this is not the case and will immediately trigger TX for WSJT-X

Not sure if this information is superfluous or is helpful.

Thanks again !!
John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com
On 24/07/2019 8:57 am, Dwight Bosselman wrote:
When I have a bunch of successive FT4 QSO's JTA don't keep up. Even some times there will be some green ones displayed with no call in them.

Do I not have something set right?

thanks 73 Dwight NS9I
Yes, your running a version of JTAlert that is not fully 100% FT4 compatible.

The Callsign clearing happens at 15 sec intervals (aka FT8) so there will be old callsigns displayed and other anomalous display depending on the period. You will have to live with the partial FT4 support in JTAlert until the new 2.14.0 release is made public.
See the previous message, posted 3 days ago, about FT4 support... https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/24785

neil_zampella

Are you on the beta tester list?   If so, you should be talking about this there.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Ham Radio

Consider leaving callsign clearing for FT4 at 15 seconds.  Seems to work fine as is.

Maybe highlighting  latest FT4 decodes in bold font?

Great program!

--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 24/07/2019 12:46 pm, John Petrocelli via Groups.Io wrote:
   Normally on the left side of the JTAlert display it may indicate "New Band" (for example) for a particular callsign.  After working that station I would expect to see it change to "Worked B4" after the logging.  However, it does not change when using FT4.  Yet at the top the "shading" will reflect the "B4" status along with a "B4" after the station's callsign.  It does not seem how long I wait.

When running FT8 the status will change from "New Band" to "Worked B4".
Wondering if this is an anomaly.
John,

This is due to the partial FT4 support in the version of JTAlert your running. At the end of logging, JTAlert queries the log for an updated Bands/Mode confirmed/worked lists. Until full FT4 support is implemented, that query does not include FT4 (only JT65, JT9 & FT8) causing the resulting Bands/Modes worked/confirmed status to be incorrect and always show new band.

The good news is that full FT4 support is now available with JTAlert 2.14.0 just today released.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John Petrocelli

Hello,

    Just tonight I installed the newest version.
   YES it is all there now.

   Thanks & God Bless for all your GREAT work !
John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com
[...]

Hello again,

   This may need a separate thread.....
   But relative to the new version supporting FT4  I notice that.............

   Clicking on ANY callsign in the JTAlert window using FT4 enables the TX immediately

      WHILE

  For FT8 it is only if is a CQ.

Thanks again !!!

John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com

On 27/07/2019 1:39 pm, John Petrocelli via Groups.Io wrote:
   But relative to the new version supporting FT4  I notice that.............

   Clicking on ANY callsign in the JTAlert window using FT4 enables the TX immediately

      WHILE

  For FT8 it is only if is a CQ.

JTAlert doesn't control TX enable in WSJT-X, in fact there is no function to provide that in the WSJT-X UDP API.

Enabling TX is handled exclusively by WSJT-X.

I expect the differences is due to FT4 being designed for Contesting, while FT8 is not.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ham Radio

TX will not occur if the station is in QSO (which is the behaviour one would expect).

Great job Laurie on FT4 support!
--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

Tony Dixon G4CJC

TX is the behaviour I would expect. I always work split and WSJT-X alows it so why not JTAlert?
Tony G4CJC

Tony Dixon G4CJC

Let me add "with my TX frequency fixed".
Tony G4CJC

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 28/07/2019 9:08 pm, Tony Dixon G4CJC wrote:
TX is the behaviour I would expect. I always work split and WSJT-X alows it so why not JTAlert?
Tony G4CJC
Tony,

As I stated in this message https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/24900
"
JTAlert doesn't control TX enable in WSJT-X, Enabling TX is handled exclusively by WSJT-X."

If the difference in TX enable behaviour between FT4 & FT8 is of concern to you, then you need to communicate that to the WSJT-X developers. There is nothing I can do with JTAlert to change WSJT-X behaviour. I am limited by the WSJT-X API which doesn't provide any mechanism to control TX enable, all I can do is send a command indicating that a decode Callsign was clicked, the rest is up to WSJT-X.

WSJT-X very deliberately does not allow external programs to start Tx on anything but a CQ.
That's to put a damper on robot systems.

de Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, July 28, 2019, 06:31:50 AM CDT, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

Aha. That explains it!
Tony G4CJC

John Petrocelli

Thanks again for the reply.

I shall message the WSJT-x group.

John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com
On 7/28/2019 11:31 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 28/07/2019 9:08 pm, Tony Dixon G4CJC wrote:
TX is the behaviour I would expect. I always work split and WSJT-X alows it so why not JTAlert?
Tony G4CJC
Tony,

As I stated in this message https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/24900
"
JTAlert doesn't control TX enable in WSJT-X, Enabling TX is handled exclusively by WSJT-X."

If the difference in TX enable behaviour between FT4 & FT8 is of concern to you, then you need to communicate that to the WSJT-X developers. There is nothing I can do with JTAlert to change WSJT-X behaviour. I am limited by the WSJT-X API which doesn't provide any mechanism to control TX enable, all I can do is send a command indicating that a decode Callsign was clicked, the rest is up to WSJT-X.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Avast logo