locked Help

I have wsjt-x v 2.0.1 and jtalert v 2.3.7. I also have FLDigi. I am running windows 10 with a SignaLink usb. All is fine with FLDig  but I am not receiving anything with WSJT-X.
I do have activity on the wsjt-x waterfall.  I need some suggestions.
Thanks for the help.

73'2
Dave
KA3PMW

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

Edited

On 20/06/2019 2:08 am, Dave Alexander wrote:
I am running windows 10 with a SignaLink usb. All is fine with FLDig  but I am not receiving anything with WSJT-X.
I do have activity on the wsjt-x waterfall.  I need some suggestions.
Thanks for the help.

73'2
Dave
KA3PMW
If your seeing activity on the Waterfall, but not getting any Decodes, the most likely cause is your PC clock is not accurate.
What time sync software are you using and how often is it syncing your clock>

de Laurie VK3AMA

Got it fixed. By the way I have the version of Win 10 that does not require that. It has the better clock in it.

On 20/06/2019 2:08 am, Dave Alexander wrote:

I am running windows 10 with a SignaLink usb. All is fine with FLDig  but I am not receiving anything with WSJT-X.
I do have activity on the wsjt-x waterfall.  I need some suggestions.
Thanks for the help.

73'2
Dave
KA3PMW

If your seeing activity on the Waterfall, but not getting any Decodes, the most likely cause in your PC clock not is not accurate.
What time sync software are you using and how often is it syncing your clock>

de Laurie VK3AMA

g4wjs

On 20/06/2019 11:30, Dave Alexander wrote:
By the way I have the version of Win 10 that does not require that. It has the better clock in it.

Hi Dave,

there is no such version of Windows. The Windows Internet Time sync has been unchanged for several versions, all that has changed are that the instructions for increasing the accuracy that only used to only be in the Windows Server documentation are now listed for the Desktop versions. Unless you have changed the relevant registry settings to increase the time accuracy you are still potentially only getting a time correction every 9 hours (2^15 seconds).

IMHO the best way to maintain accurate synchronization to UTC on Windows is to install a 3rd party tool like the Meinberg NTP Client and configure it correctly.

Bill
G4WJS.

I run a pre release version. The instructions for JTAlert and WSJT-X tell you if you have the version I have there is no need to run another time sync program.

I am running windows 10 home insider preview evaluation copy build 18917.rs_prerelease,19607-1942

[...]

what instructions are you referring to?

What are the values of the following two Windows Registry keys?
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\MinPollInterval
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\MaxPollInterval

On 20/06/2019 12:12, Dave Alexander wrote:

[...]

Mini  pole is 10 (0x0ah)

Max is 15 (0x0fh)

[...]

I got a notice a few days ago that the time sync was hot heeded with this version of Windows.

[...]

so those are the NTP minimum and maximum poll intervals measured in log2 seconds.

10 means 2^10 seconds = 1024 ~= 17 minutes
15 means 2^15 seconds = 32768 ~= 9 hours

So as I said, unless you have adjusted W32Time service registry values for high accuracy as recommended by Microsoft here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/configuring-systems-for-high-accuracy?tabs=MinPollInterval (the Registry settings are at the bottom) you are potentially not getting time updates more frequently than once every 9 hours or so. Most motherboard real time clock chips cannot maintain sufficient clock accuracy for WSJT-X modes without corrections more frequently than that, particularly when the machine is powered down. Microsoft do not really want Windows Desktop users obtaining high accuracy UTC synchronization from their NTP time server network as the load would jeopardize the accuracy obtainable to their business users, hence the low accuracy default settings which are more than sufficient for the average Windows Desktop user and keep the MS NTP server's load to an acceptable level (i.e. MS don't have to invest more in a bigger global pool of NTP servers).

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 20/06/2019 12:24, Dave Alexander wrote:

Mini  pole is 10 (0x0ah)

Max is 15 (0x0fh)

[...]

John

Hi Dave,

What fixed your problem?

John

Got it fixed. By the way I have the version of Win 10 that does not require
that. It has the better clock in it.

On 20/06/2019 2:08 am, Dave Alexander wrote:

I am running windows 10 with a SignaLink usb. All is fine with FLDig but I
am not receiving anything with WSJT-X.
I do have activity on the wsjt-x waterfall. I need some suggestions.
Thanks for the help.

73'2
Dave
KA3PMW

If your seeing activity on the Waterfall, but not getting any Decodes, the
most likely cause in your PC clock not is not accurate.
What time sync software are you using and how often is it syncing your
clock>

There's been some change in the 1903 update.
Microsoft had said quite a while ago that they intended to improve time sync.
So after every update I disable Meinberg and see what happens.

After the 1903 update I noticed w32tm was not running (it was in Triggered startup mode).  It's possible my messing with things had this hosed...not sure.
So running any w32tm would fail.  A reboot didn't start the time service either.
There is a new "Sync now" button in the Date & time settings which I could click and seemed to work...but the update frequency was horrible of course.

I made the changes in the link Bill provided but had to change w32time to "Automatic" start.  Once I did that the "Sync now" button is grayed out so it knows that w32tm is running and time was getting synced every 64 seconds to ntp.pool.org.  If I stop the w32tm service the button is enabled again but is not resyncing on it's own (apparently).

So I'm not sure if MS has disabled w32tm now but having users modify the registry is pretty useless.  I wonder if they'll put a "high accuracy" button in them time setting....probably not if I had to guess.

de Mike W9MDB

So as I said, unless you have adjusted W32Time service registry alues for high accuracy as recommended by Microsoft here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/configuring-systems-for-high-accuracy?tabs=MinPollInterval (the Registry settings are at the bottom) you are potentially not getting time updates more frequently than once every 9 hours or so. Most motherboard real time clock chips cannot maintain sufficient clock accuracy for WSJT-X modes without corrections more frequently than that, particularly when the machine is powered down. Microsoft do not really want Windows Desktop users obtaining high accuracy UTC synchronization from their NTP time server network as the load would jeopardize the accuracy obtainable to their business users, hence the low accuracy default settings which are more than sufficient for the average Windows Desktop user and keep the MS NTP server's load to an acceptable level (i.e. MS don't have to invest more in a bigger global pool of NTP servers).

[...]

The original problem was fixed by turning the computer, radio, and SignaLink off the restarting the computer, When it was fully booted, I started the radio then the Signalink. That caused the card to be recognized pr4operfly. The second problem I had was caused by no logging program, and some configuration.