locked JT Alert and Band Activity Shows a "Not Responding" Error


KI0KK - Greg Wolfe
 

JT Alert just stopped working today with a not responding error. Ham Spots shows reports from my station from PSKReporter. No apparent reason.

Greg
KI0KK


Laurie, VK3AMA
 

On 3/06/2019 7:04 am, ki0kk wrote:
JT Alert just stopped working today with a not responding error. Ham Spots shows reports from my station from PSKReporter. No apparent reason.

Greg
KI0KK
Greg,

Thanks for the report unfortunately, there is nothing I can suggest that would correct this behaviour. JTAlert may recover naturally, but if after a couple of minutes it hasn't, the only option is to forcibly kill JTAlert.

How long had JTAlert been running, hours, days, or weeks?

Unless JTAlert recovers from a "not Responding" Windows message, your only option is to manually kill the JTAlert process and any of the processes it normally spawns, there will likely be several still present after JTAlert.exe has been forcibly killed. If it was me, I would perform a PC restart, rather than tracking down processes in TaskManager.

de Laurie VK3AMA


KI0KK - Greg Wolfe
 

I reverted to an older version, 2.10.10 and got the APP to start where I could at least access the menus. Still no response but I got an additional error message after some time concerning a failed DB Query, Screen shot attached. There is a DSN for the HRD Database defined.

Greg


JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 3/06/2019 10:51 am, ki0kk wrote:
I reverted to an older version, 2.10.10 and got the APP to start where I could at least access the menus. Still no response but I got an additional error message after some time concerning a failed DB Query, Screen shot attached. There is a DSN for the HRD Database defined.

Greg
Greg,

It looks to me like a problem with your ODBC DSN. The JTAlert code for working with HRD DSNs hasn't changed for a number of years and with the large number of JTAlert/HRD users that are not reporting this problem, it is very unlikely to be a problem within the code, most likely something specific to your Windows install.

Is this a recent problem?

Try creating a new Log with a new DSN from within HRDLogbook and then setting JTAlert to use that new DSN. Does the problem persist after that DSN  change? If not, it suggests to me that your Virus/Malware protection is interfering. Try with your protection temporarily disabled to see if that is the culprit.

de Laurie VK3AMA


KI0KK - Greg Wolfe
 

Laurie:

This problem just started a few days ago. Was working initially. 

I created a new Database with a new DSN and imported my old log info. That seemed to restore JT-Alert. Seems like the original log file or its DSN was damaged somehow?

 I also excluded the JT-Alert Directory from the Norton scans.

TNX, This new Del and the new version of W10 has been a problem. It's that or I have not got Norton to behave correctly yet.

Greg KI0KK


JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 4/06/2019 12:20 am, ki0kk wrote:
This problem just started a few days ago. Was working initially. 

I created a new Database with a new DSN and imported my old log info. That seemed to restore JT-Alert. Seems like the original log file or its DSN was damaged somehow?

 I also excluded the JT-Alert Directory from the Norton scans.

TNX, This new Del and the new version of W10 has been a problem. It's that or I have not got Norton to behave correctly yet.

Greg KI0KK
Greg,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear the fix was relatively painless.

Good luck with Norton, you will need it, especially if you ever try to uninstall it from your PC.

de Laurie VK3AMA