Topics

locked Minimum ADIF fields needed for scan log to work

Scott Armstrong

Hi All,

I would like to custom build a log file and scan that log into JTAlert.
More specifically, a log file containing grid information.

I could mine that information from my main log but there are over 30K+ QSOs in the log  so would rather not mess with it. It would be easier to build a small specific ADIF file for what I want.

My question to the group is....

What are the minimum required ADIF fields needed for a scan log to work and be successful?

Thanks in advance

Scott AA5AM

Dave Garber

Try Adifmaster

On Fri, May 24, 2019, 3:24 PM Scott Armstrong, <aa5am@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I would like to custom build a log file and scan that log into JTAlert.
More specifically, a log file containing grid information.

I could mine that information from my main log but there are over 30K+ QSOs in the log  so would rather not mess with it. It would be easier to build a small specific ADIF file for what I want.

My question to the group is....

What are the minimum required ADIF fields needed for a scan log to work and be successful?

Thanks in advance

Scott AA5AM

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 25/05/2019 5:24 am, Scott Armstrong wrote:
I would like to custom build a log file and scan that log into JTAlert.
More specifically, a log file containing grid information.

I could mine that information from my main log but there are over 30K+ QSOs in the log  so would rather not mess with it. It would be easier to build a small specific ADIF file for what I want.

My question to the group is....

What are the minimum required ADIF fields needed for a scan log to work and be successful?

Thanks in advance

Scott AA5AM
Scott,

It would be easier to just produce an ADIF export from your logger. JTAlert pre-processes the ADIF file at startup  putting the ADIF records into a high-perfomance memory database. That pre-process ignores any unneeded adif fields.

I wouldn't worry about 30K+ records as that size is insignificant and will be processed in less than 5 seconds. Here is an example of a 180K+ adif being imported into JTAlert. Throughputs of 14000 records/sec are typical, smaller files like yours will be less as there are setup overheads not related to the actual parsing and storing of the adif records.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Scott Armstrong

Thanks Laurie,

Scanning the 30k entries is not an issue. Actually I've already done that and it worked flawlessly!

What I want to do is create a subset of what is in the 30K log entries and use that as the scan log input file.
The subsets of grids I want to use are already contained in an excel spreadsheet and it would be much easier to build an ADIF file from the excel spreadsheet than it would trying to find  the log entries in the master log and pulling them out.

-Scott AA5AM

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 2:51 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
[...]

Gary

I do the same thing. I use a little basic program to create the adif from a text file of grids I get from lotw. These are the fields I use and scanlog works just fine

<call:4>K9YC <gridsquare:4>CM87 <band:2>6m <station_callsign:6>KG5THG <EOR>

Scott Armstrong

Thanks Gary,

Just what I was wanting.

-Scott AA5AM

On 25/05/2019 11:40 pm, Gary wrote:
I do the same thing. I use a little basic program to create the adif from a text file of grids I get from lotw. These are the fields I use and scanlog works just fine

<call:4>K9YC <gridsquare:4>CM87 <band:2>6m <station_callsign:6>KG5THG <EOR>
Just be aware that using this type of minimal adif file with JTAlert effectively limits you to only getting Grid Alerts and for worked B4 checks.
Running a Scan against this file you will need to limit the Scan to the Wanted Grid scan only, as any of the other Scans types, Dxcc, State, etc, will produce results flagging all Dxccs & States as need on all Bands/Modes.

The is no downside to having an adif file that includes the additional data (as you get from a Logger adif export). After the initial import of the adif into the memory based database used for the Scan (and Alerting), there are no performance gains, the Scan doesn't run any quicker.

de Laurie VK3AMA