locked JT Alert 2.13 won't start

Mark Johns

When launching JT-Alert 2.13, I get a box that says I must start wsjt-x first -- but wsjt-x is already running!

This happened with version 2.13.0. I just installed version 2.13.1 and get the same thing.
--

Mark D. Johns, KØJM (ex-KØMDJ)
Minneapolis, MN EN35hd

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 14/03/2019 3:33 am, Mark Johns via Groups.Io wrote:
When launching JT-Alert 2.13, I get a box that says I must start wsjt-x first -- but wsjt-x is already running!

This happened with version 2.13.0. I just installed version 2.13.1 and get the same thing.
--

Mark D. Johns, KØJM
Mark,

There are typically two causes for this behaviour.
  1. JTAlert is already running and your trying to start a second instance of JTAlert and that is waiting for a second copy of WSJT-X to be started. The popup message will indicate an instance number. You will need to locate the all ready running JTAlert process and kill it in Windows TaskManager including any already running JTAlert plugin processes. The easiest technique that ensures any JTAlert zombie processes and file locks are removed is to perform a Windows restart.

  2. WSJT-X is running with elevated process privileges and Windows is preventing JTAlert from interacting with the WSJT-X process due to the mismatch in process privileges. This is typically due to having set WSJT-X to run as Administrator, either the wsjtx.exe file, the shortcut used to start wsjtx.exe or both. There is never any need to run WSJT-X elevated. Stop WSJT-X and remove the run as Administrator setting.

Since your problem occurred with two versions of JTAlert, my bet is on number 2 as the cause.

Let me know what you discover.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Mark Johns

Thank you, Laurie. Neither of the programs, wsjt-x nor jt alert, is set to administrator level. Also, I don't see any mention of [2nd Instance] in the box (or 3rd or 4th, etc.). Restarting does allow the program to start normally sometimes. However, this morning I started clean and got the error box and had to re-boot a second time to get up and running. I'll let you know if I discern any pattern in the future.
--

On 15/03/2019 5:53 am, Mark Johns via Groups.Io wrote:
Thank you, Laurie. Neither of the programs, wsjt-x nor jt alert, is set to administrator level. Also, I don't see any mention of [2nd Instance] in the box (or 3rd or 4th, etc.). Restarting does allow the program to start normally sometimes. However, this morning I started clean and got the error box and had to re-boot a second time to get up and running. I'll let you know if I discern any pattern in the future.
--

Mark D. Johns, KØJM
Mark,

Next time you get JTAlert started correctly, wait 5 minutes and then use the "? -> Contact Support" menu, on the JTAlert title-bar, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis. There may be something in there that can provide some insight as to what is happening.

Something else you can try, not that technically it should make any difference, is to start JTAlert first, wait for the waiting message then start WSJT-X. If JTAlert doesn't automatically clear the message once WSJT-X has started, that indicates that something is preventing JTAlert from interacting with WSJT-X, likely your Virus/Malware protection.

de Laurie VK3AMA