locked 2.5.0 -- AutoIt Error

David - AK2L

Installed 2.50.0.  Already had .NET 5.0.5 installed.

David - AK2L

Restarted JTAlert.
Attempted to open messaging window.
Same AutoIt Error appeared.  (Same line number.)

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/04/2021 7:33 am, David - AK2L wrote:
Installed 2.50.0.  Already had .NET 5.0.5 installed.

AutoIT errors are not affected by the .NET 5 desktop runtime.

The only AutoIT code left is within the main JTAlert window.

How often is this error being thrown?
Does it occur with every JTAlert startup?
Does it occur immediately at JTAlert startup or does it occur after some time.

de Laurie VK3AMA

David - AK2L

Restarted JTAlert a third time.
Same AutoIt error as before.
This time all I did was resize WSJT-X; that caused the main JTAlert window to move.

David - AK2L

Launched JTAlert a fourth time.
Main window appeared.  Callsigns window appeared.
I moved the the Callsigns window over a bit so that I could see a window underneath it.
A few seconds later, the AutoIt error appeared yet again.

>How often is this error being thrown?
Every launch.

>Does it occur with every JTAlert startup?
Yes.

>Does it occur immediately at JTAlert startup or does it occur after some time.
No.  But so far it happens within 30 seconds of starting.  Note that WSJT-X is happily decoding during this time.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/04/2021 7:46 am, David - AK2L wrote:
Launched JTAlert a fourth time.
Main window appeared.  Callsigns window appeared.
I moved the the Callsigns window over a bit so that I could see a window underneath it.
A few seconds later, the AutoIt error appeared yet again.

>How often is this error being thrown?
Every launch.

>Does it occur with every JTAlert startup?
Yes.

>Does it occur immediately at JTAlert startup or does it occur after some time.
No.  But so far it happens within 30 seconds of starting.  Note that WSJT-X is happily decoding during this time.

Try a PC restart.

de Laurie VK3AMA

David - AK2L

Rebooted computer.
Launched HRD
Launched WSJT-X
Launched JTAlert
15 - 20 seconds after launching JTAlert, I go the AutoIt error.  (Same line number.)

David - AK2L

I don't think I am using AutoIt.  (Or am I?)
Is that something that can be disabled until this problem is solved?

Michael Black

That's the system JTAlert is currently built with -- you don't control that.

Can you describe your computer system?  CPU?  Graphics card?

Seems to happen to older/slower computers more so than newer ones.

Mike W9MDB

On 13/04/2021 8:11 am, David - AK2L wrote:
I don't think I am using AutoIt.  (Or am I?)
Is that something that can be disabled until this problem is solved?

No you can't turn it off. Major components of JTAlert, in particular the Alerting logic and Log reads & uploads are still written in AutoIT code.

Since you're the only one reporting this with the new build out of the 750 downloads that have occurred since announcement, plus the 4+ months the Test Team has had the new code, I am left thinking that the problem is specific to your PC.

Try deleting the JTAlert config.sqlite file and starting JTAlert without one.

The JTAlert help file,  "Troubleshooting -> Setting Changes Not Remembered" discusses when the config file is located and also how to roll-back to an earlier version if needed.

If JTAlert still throws the error despite being started without a config file, my suggestion at this time is to rollback to JTAlert 2.16.17

de Laurie VK3AMA

David - AK2L

Intel i7-9700 @ 3.0 GHz
64 GB RAM
Primary disk is NVME, secondary is HDD.  Neither is close to full.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
27" monitor - 2560x1440
Windows 10 Pro - 20H2 - OS Build 19042.906 - Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
I use several virtual screens as supported by Windows 10

David - AK2L

I deleted everything in that folder and re-launched JTAlert.
So far, so good.  Running for 5 minutes as I write this.
(Tip: You might want to move some of the help files to a web site.  It's heard to read a help file that depends upon JTAlert when the program keeps crashing.)

neil_zampella

I'm going to ask the obvious, did you RESTART the computer after installation?

Neil, KN3ILZ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/04/2021 8:38 am, David - AK2L wrote:
(Tip: You might want to move some of the help files to a web site.  It's heard to read a help file that depends upon JTAlert when the program keeps crashing.)

JTAlert doesn't need to be running to access the Help files (and release notes). The installer adds shortcuts to the "HamApps JTAlert" start menu group. This has always been the case.

From my Win10 PC...

de Laurie VK3AMA

David - AK2L

Laurie:  Thank you.  I have always used a desktop shortcut to JTAlert so I never looked there.

Neil: See earlier in the thread.  Laurie asked me to restart the computer and it made no difference.  Only after I wiped the SQL preferences did the program remain stable.

David - AK2L

The problem has resurfaced.  Here are the steps that brought it back...
  1. After deleting the preferences database, JTAlert ran fine for at least 1/2 hour.
  2. I went into the settings and setup HRD Logbook.  (I have the latest HRD versions and patches.)
  3. I then tweaked some of the alerts to my liking -- enabled some, disabled some
  4. Next I shutdown JTAlert.  (This is how I used to do it with 2.16 as it would often crash after changing settings.)
  5. I restarted JTAlert and told it to rebuild the QSO database.  I processed ~8,000 QSOs from HRD and I saved the results.
  6. I shut it down again as in #4.
  7. I restarted it and within 30 seconds, I got the AutoIt error again.  (Same line #.)
Is there any kind of log or debugging information that I can capture for you?

David - AK2L

I am trying to narrow this down and have some new information...
* deleted the configuration file again.
* Launched JTAlert and let it run for several minutes to confirm it wasn't going to crash
* Went in to JTAlert settings and changed ONLY what is circled below:

* I did not rebuild the database.
* In less than a minute, JTAlert silently disappeared.

I have HRD v6.7.0.323.  This particular logbook has 8,668 QSOs in it.

David - AK2L

More information...
* I relaunched JTAlert and immediately went to the log settings and
* unchecked "Enable HRD V5/V6 Logging"
* JTAlert is still running several minutes later.

Perhaps HRD is sending something that JTAlert doesn't like?

Michael Black

I have GeForce GTX 1660 Super which is close enough that the video card would seem unlikely to be the problem.

Fast enough CPU and plenty of RAM.

The only thing that sounds different is the virtual screens.  Can you turn that off and see if it makes a difference>

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, April 12, 2021, 05:27:02 PM CDT, David - AK2L <ak2l.radio@...> wrote:

Intel i7-9700 @ 3.0 GHz
64 GB RAM
Primary disk is NVME, secondary is HDD.  Neither is close to full.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
27" monitor - 2560x1440
Windows 10 Pro - 20H2 - OS Build 19042.906 - Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
I use several virtual screens as supported by Windows 10

David - AK2L

You don't turn off virtual screens -- they are a part of Windows 10.  But I did as you asked anyway and moved everything to what I will call "desktop 0".  I then re-enabled HRD6 logging.  JTAlert silently quit within 60 seconds.

Clearly, JTAlert doesn't like being connected to my HRD installation.  This is not a new problem; it existing in earlier versions of JTAlert as well.  But with the earlier versions, it would usually happen only once when I changed a setting.  I would then restart JTAlert and all would be well until I changed another setting.  With v2.50, it happens every time.

I would be interested to hear from other HRD6 users to see if they have seen any problems.

For now, I will look at logging directly from WSJT-X or perhaps changing my logging program altogether.