locked 2.50.3 problems

Andy k3wyc

I installed 2.50.3 and cannot display any "Views" from View menu. Clicking Callsigns, Messaging, Activity, or Band heat opens no windows.

If I install 2.50.0 all Views are displayable.  If I re-install 2.50.3 no Views are displayable.

Is this a know issue and, if so, what is the solution.

Thanks and 73,
Andy, k3wyc

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/07/2021 7:47 am, Andy k3wyc wrote:
I installed 2.50.3 and cannot display any "Views" from View menu. Clicking Callsigns, Messaging, Activity, or Band heat opens no windows.

If I install 2.50.0 all Views are displayable.  If I re-install 2.50.3 no Views are displayable.

Is this a know issue and, if so, what is the solution.

Thanks and 73,
Andy, k3wyc

Andy,

Not a known issue. If it was I would never have posted the new release. Neither myself nor the Test Team have observed this problem.

Please post an image of the 2.50.3 Callsigns window showing the no views state. Also include in that image the Callsigns window Options popup open to the "Panels" section.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Paul Sturpe

No problem here with 2.50.3.  Running Windows 10 pro 64 bit.

Paul Sturpe, W3GQ

QSL Bureau Mgr. W4 K4 N4 Prefixes

Carey, WB4HXE

2.50.3 running great here also.No problem with any windows.
73, Carey, WB4HXE

--
Carey Fisher

--
73, Carey, WB4HXE

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 6:32 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 13/07/2021 7:47 am, Andy k3wyc wrote:
I installed 2.50.3 and cannot display any "Views" from View menu. Clicking Callsigns, Messaging, Activity, or Band heat opens no windows.

If I install 2.50.0 all Views are displayable.  If I re-install 2.50.3 no Views are displayable.

Is this a know issue and, if so, what is the solution.

Thanks and 73,
Andy, k3wyc

Andy,

Not a known issue. If it was I would never have posted the new release. Neither myself nor the Test Team have observed this problem.

Please post an image of the 2.50.3 Callsigns window showing the no views state. Also include in that image the Callsigns window Options popup open to the "Panels" section.

Carey Fisher

--
73, Carey, WB4HXE

Masaaaki Maeda

Andy’s symptom is similar to mine.

In addition,  I can’t hear any sound.

Maeda

On 13/07/2021 11:17 am, Masaaaki Maeda wrote:

In addition,  I can’t hear any sound.

Maeda

That is further indication that the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process is not running.

Three typical causes...
  1. Your Protection software is interfering.

  2. You have not installed the correct bit version (64bit or 32bit) of the NET 5.0.x Desktop Runtime required by the bit version of JTAlert you installed, both need to match 64bit(x64) or 32bit(x86).

  3. You did not install the correct NET runtime, it needs to be the "Desktop Runtime"

de Laurie VK3AMA

Masaaaki Maeda

Framework check says OK

There are 3 types .NET come appear on download page. I installed “Run desktop apps” version. Is this OK?

Maeda

On 13/07/2021 11:17 am, Masaaaki Maeda wrote:

In addition,  I can’t hear any sound.

Maeda

That is further indication that the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process is not running.

Three typical causes...

  1. Your Protection software is interfering.
  2. You have not installed the correct bit version (64bit or 32bit) of the NET 5.0.x Desktop Runtime required by the bit version of JTAlert you installed, both need to match 64bit(x64) or 32bit(x86).
  3. You did not install the correct NET runtime, it needs to be the "Desktop Runtime"

de Laurie VK3AMA

Masaaaki Maeda

Lurie,

Please let me know how to return to 2.50.2 last version?

Thank you for your help.

Masa JR1AQN

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 03:32 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
Please post an image of the 2.50.3 Callsigns window showing the no views state.
The Callsigns window is not displayable. Callsigns is one of the unelectable views I attempted to selected from the main JTAlert Window.  Note that this is an update from 2.50.0 to 2.50.3.

Andy, k3wyc

Masaaaki Maeda

Lurie,

Thank you for posting 2.50.2. Uninstalled 2.50.3 and install 2.50.2, Everything is perfect! Return to JTAlert.
I am not sure why I can't install 50.3.
Thank you!

Masa
JR1AQN

Andy k3wyc

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 07:24 PM, Andy k3wyc wrote:
The Callsigns window is not displayable.
Running 2.50.0:

During installation of 2.50.3 Win 64 bit:

When run from desktop icon:

No other JTAlert window is displayed and nothing is selectable from View menu.

Andy, k3wyc

Andy k3wyc

When 2.50.0 is started it displays a "reading settings data  -  standby"  text window.  This is not displayed with 2.50.3.

Andy k3wyc

Michael Black

Just an FYI it's working fine here.....

Mike W9MDB

On 13/07/2021 12:50 pm, Andy k3wyc wrote:
When 2.50.0 is started it displays a "reading settings data  -  standby"  text window.  This is not displayed with 2.50.3.

Andy k3wyc

I am concerned that in your posted images the installer complained of two files were in use during the 2.50.3 installation. That suggests that JTAlert was running while at the same time you tried to do an install. JTAlert should always be shutdown before performing an install//update. This is common practice for most Windows applications, not just JTAlert.

I am seeing a common thread with those reporting failures. Updating from 2.50.0 to 2.50.3

JTAlert 2.50.0 did not have explicitly compiled x86 & x64 files, but 2.50.1 and later did, including 2.50.3. I am guessing that your JTAlert installation is likely compromised with old non-x64 files mixed in with the new x64 files given that JTAlert was running when you tried to do the install.

I suggest you uninstall JTAlert then use File explorer to delete the old JTAlert installation directory along with any remaining sub-directories and files. If file explorer can't delete all files and directories, perform a Windows restart so that any remaining locked files are  unlocked then complete the directory deletion. Once your old JTAlert installation directory has been removed perform a new installation of 2.50.3. DO NOT delete any JTAlert directories and files under your %localappdata% directory tree as that will cause a loss of your JTAlert settings.

On 13/07/2021 12:38 pm, Andy k3wyc wrote:

No other JTAlert window is displayed and nothing is selectable from View menu.

That is evidence that the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process is not running or is being interfered with. All the "stared" Window entries under the "View" menu including the Help->About window are directly controlled by the Manager process. All WSJT-X UDP decoding and Alert sounds are also controlled by the Manager process.

Are you sure you installed the "Desktop Runtime", ignoring what the JTAlert framework check reported?

Run the following command
"dotnet --info" in a Windows Command prompt window. Post an image of the result.

On 13/07/2021 12:28 pm, Masaaaki Maeda wrote:
Thank you for posting 2.50.2. Uninstalled 2.50.3 and install 2.50.2, Everything is perfect! Return to JTAlert.
I am not sure why I can't install 50.3.
Thank you!

Masa
JR1AQN

I am not sure why 2.50.2 is working while 2.50.3 does not. I am still inclined to think your Protection software is the issue. 2.50.3 is new while 2.50.2 is older and has likely been marked as safe by your protection software while 2.50.3 being new and not-listed as safe and is thus getting blocked.

I suggest you stay with 2.50.2 for a few days, to give your protection software time to update its definition files then retry the 2.50.3 installation again.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Andy k3wyc

"Run the following command "dotnet --info" in a Windows Command prompt window. Post an image of the result."

2.50.0 was not previously closed because the 2.50.3 installer gives me the option to auto close.

I closed 2.50.0.

I attempted to rename the JTAlert directory (rather than delete it) but was denied with "folder in use" error.

I opened task manager but found no JTAlert processes.

Will now re-boot but sending this to avoid loss of "the story so far".

73,
Andy, k3wyc

Andy k3wyc

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 05:58 AM, Andy k3wyc wrote:
Will now re-boot but sending this to avoid loss of "the story so far".

After re-boot:

Re-named JTAlert directory
Installed 2.50.3 without error
Started WSJT-X ver 2.3.0 (yes, I know there are later versions)
Started JTAlert - reading settings was displayed
One window was opened:

Selected View/Callsigns - nothing was displayed.
Help/About opens nothing
Task manager shows one JTAlert app and background process JTAlertV2. Manager flashing

Opened Defender and displayed excluded files.

Attempted to exclude JTAlertV2.Manager but had to guess at name:

Background process still flashing and callsigns not displayable.

Andy, k3wyc

g4wjs

On 13/07/2021 13:58, Andy k3wyc wrote:
"Run the following command "dotnet --info" in a Windows Command prompt window. Post an image of the result."

Andy,

you don't appear to have the recommended Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime v5.0.7 installed.

Bill
G4WJS.