Topics

locked 2.15.6 Needed State Alert Issue

Tom NS8K

Edited

I've been experiencing wanted states not being announced with version 2.15.6.  Here are the circumstances.

Mode FT8, Decode set to Normal or Deep (AP setting doesn't matter).  When receiving, calls can appear in JTAlert in little bursts or groups.  I know this is normal and caused by the Normal or Deep decode setting in WSJT-X.

The problem is that wanted states after the first group of decoded calls are often not announced although they are of the proper color in the JTAlert display.  I went back to 2.15.3 and did not see this behavior.  2.15.5 also seems to work correctly.  FT4 works fine in all versions.  If I set Decode to Fast in WSJT-X, all versions seem to work just fine too.

This problem doesn't require busy band conditions.  It can happen with as few as 2 wanted states.  When there are wanted states, they are announced elegantly from the end of the JTAlert display back to the beginning (accommodating duplicate states) in the working versions.  In 2.15.6 the order appears "jumbled" when it is in error.

Running updated Windows 10 on a moderate computer.  WSJT-X is ver 2.1.2.  Rig is IC-7300.  Log is Log4OM.  Everything else is working beautifully!

Oops, I stand corrected.  With a little more testing, FT4 also exhibits this same behavior when Decode is set to Normal or Deep.

73 es tnx,
Tom - NS8K

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/01/2020 7:49 am, Tom NS8K wrote:
[...]

Tom,

Thanks for the report. This sounds like a timing issue, I will investigate.

Thanks for the update confirming that it also occurs for FT4, as I was scratching my head trying to come up with a possible mode dependent (FT8 only) cause.

Question, do you use individual State announcements or a single generic "New State" announcement?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tom NS8K

Laurie,

Man, are you quick! I use individual state.  I figured timing also especially with how you have sped up things.  By the way, the Michigan announcement is difficult to understand and there is no male version of it, only female.

JTAlert, fantastic and getting better all the time!

73 es tnx,

Tom

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/01/2020 10:50 am, Tom NS8K wrote:
By the way, the Michigan announcement is difficult to understand and there is no male version of it, only female.
Tom,

The MI.wav file for both Male and Female are in the installer file, I just now did fresh installs and it definitely gets installed (typically to C:\ProgramData\HamApps\Sounds\ ). You may want to try a new install. There should be 81 .wav files in that directory.

I agree the Female MI announcement is not very good. There is a limit to what can be done with computer generated voice files. They are still pretty good for computer generated IMO.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tom NS8K

Laurie,
Nice job.  I did the re-install and there is now a male (as well as female) version of Michigan.  The male version is an improvement over the female version that used to get installed whether you selected Male or Female.

I agree, they do all sound pretty good.  Especially when you consider all 81 files total a little over 3 Meg.  That's quite amazing actually.

73 es tnx,
Tom