locked Changing default logbook location

Robert <Robert@...>

Hello,
Can I change the default WSJT-X logbook location?
I use DropBox to backup my HRD LogBook, and it works fine because I can stipulate where I want my backup logbook file to go.
I would like to do the same thing with WSJT-X Logbook.
Is there a way?
--

Thanks,

Robert AC2MM

DAVID BERNHEISEL

Check DXKeeper>Config>Log tab - backup file location - second entry on the Log Tab

On 2/18/2019 16:46, Robert wrote:
Hello,
Can I change the default WSJT-X logbook location?
I use DropBox to backup my HRD LogBook, and it works fine because I can stipulate where I want my backup logbook file to go.
I would like to do the same thing with WSJT-X Logbook.
Is there a way?

DAVID BERNHEISEL

Ooops sorry - wrong response for this group....

VA7GEM <boat.anchor@...>

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 02:46 PM, Robert wrote:
Hello,
Can I change the default WSJT-X logbook location?
I use DropBox to backup my HRD LogBook, and it works fine because I can
stipulate where I want my backup logbook file to go.
I would like to do the same thing with WSJT-X Logbook.
Is there a way?
--

Thanks,

Robert AC2MM
Robert
I use JTAlert also (great prog).
It will Rx the contact details from WSJT-X and log the contact in HRD Log.
HRD Log then backs up to Dropbox.
Dropbox emails me when it is time to clean up the lod files.
Love the way it all integrates.
cheers
Barry

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 19/02/2019 9:46 am, Robert wrote:
Can I change the default WSJT-X logbook location?
I use DropBox to backup my HRD LogBook, and it works fine because I can stipulate where I want my backup logbook file to go.
I would like to do the same thing with WSJT-X Logbook.
Is there a way?
--

Thanks,

Robert AC2MM

WSJT-X doesn't provide any mechanism to change the location of its log file. I am not aware of any plans by the WSJT-X developers to alter that behaviour. Perhaps one of them might chime in on this message thread.

The only way you can change the location is to use a symbolic link (a Google search will help you), where the WSJT-X log-file becomes a symbolic link pointing to the true physical location of the file which can be anywhere you desire.

de Laurie VK3AMA

g4wjs

On 19/02/2019 19:57, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
[...]

Hi Laurie and Robert,

on Windows making a hard link is probably preferable since doing so does not require elevated rights whereas creating a symlink does. Use the same mklink command with the correct options.

A hard link enters the same file into multiple directories and each entry is indistinguishable from the others. Creating such a hard link in a directory under the Dropbox root will allow Dropbox to automatically synchronize the file to the Cloud.

For example, from a CMD window type:

mkdir "%Home%\Dropbox\WSJT-X"
mklink /H "%Home%\Dropbox\WSJT-X\wsjtx_log.adi" "%LocalAppData%\WSJT-X\wsjtx_log.adi"

these commands create a new directory under the Dropbox root called WSJT-X and then create a hard link entry in that directory that is the WSJT-X ADIF log file.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill
G4WJS.

chas cartmel

Robert,

What you could do is write a batch file to copy the WSJT X log  to your dropbox and then schedule a task using task scheduler  to run the batch file on a daily basis
Question: why are you referring to the wsjt X log as a logbook when you have HRD – seems a duplication?

73

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

[...]

John Petrocelli

I have a simple CMD file that does something similar. But it puts a date-time stamp in the copied file's name.

If anyone wishes and it is agreed, I will be happy to post a copy in a message.

Anyone is welcome to adapt this as they with.

BTW, I also have similar CMD files to copy the INI and ALL.TXT files.

John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com
On 2/19/2019 9:06 PM, chas cartmel wrote:

[...]

Well, I would appreciate that CMD file, John.
I have to lookup how to make a batch file again.  Too many years ago.  I'm sure it's easy.
More options are better than less...

Thanks,

Robert AC2MM

On 2/20/2019 1:18 AM, John Petrocelli via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I do apologize for taking so long, I'm building two crystal radios as well as logging QSO's, I get preoccupied.
There is a VERY good reason , as I found out the hard way.
HRD had a hiccup, and lost or goofed up a lot of my FT8 files, the details I can't recall that well, it was last year.   Then I, due to my inexperience with the WSJT logfile, tried to restore these contacts back into HRD, and the WSJT logfile database got corrupted.    It was not a good day...
So I had to manually rebuild 52 ft-8 logs in HRD, that was a pain.

Then I had to take all the FT-8 logs from HRD, and Export them them back into an ADIF file for WSJT to use.   I finally got everything straightened out, although the exported log info was significantly more detailed than the original WSJT logfile, as HRD adds a lot of detail when I QSO from FT-8 is completed.
I don't want to repeat that anymore.

So the WSJT logfile is a sort of backup to my HRD backup.    The HRD Logbook I'm not impressed with, even though I've had it two years now.
It keeps giving the wrong information when I do Lookups, so I totally depend on QRZ for the correct information.  HRD Tech Support knows this, logged into my computer ans saw it for themselves, and are trying to figure out why.  But I

Thanks,

Robert AC2MM

On 2/19/2019 4:06 PM, chas cartmel wrote:

[...]

Hello Robert.

Here is the CMD file.
It is set up to be placed in 1 directory below the directory containing the WSJTX.LOG file.  Then it refers up 1 directory to find the current log file.
It is, as you can see quite simple !

@Echo Off
For /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /t') do (set mydate=%%c%%a%%b)
rem For /f "tokens=1-4 delims=/:. " %%a in ("%TIME%") do (set mytime=%%a%%b%%c%%d)
For /f "tokens=1-4 delims=/:. " %%a in ("%TIME%") do (set mytime=%%a%%b%%c)
Echo copy ..\wsjtx.log wsjtx.log_%mydate%-%mytime%.txt
copy ..\wsjtx.log wsjtx.log_%mydate%-%mytime%.txt
Pause
John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com
On 2/22/2019 1:06 AM, Robert wrote:

[...]

Hi John,
Thank you.

Robert AC2MM

On 2/22/2019 12:33 AM, John Petrocelli via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

   It works well.

  I also have similar CMD files. for the INI file and the ALL.TXT file.
  These are quite similar to the one I sent.
  The major difference is that with the ALL.TXT file, after a successful copy, it deletes the ALL.TXT file which can  grow quite large.

  BTW, I know this thread is somewhat "off topic" so I want to publicly thank Laurie for permitting its continuing !!!

73 All !!
John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com