locked loigging Mode

John K9IJ

I'm not sure where this belongs.

Everything seems to be working except one. There seems to be some confusion as to mode.

In ru contest log, there are two mode fields.  There is a Mode (tst) field and a Mode field.
When JTAlertsx logs a qso, both fields are populated with DIG. When the contest log is
transfered to ACLog post contest and uploaded to LOTW, The mode wants to be FT8.

The mode field in extra qso data can be edited to show FT8 and then FT8 will show up in the Recent
Contacts rather than DJG. When runniing FT8 with WSJTx and JTAlertx outside of contest mode, this
isn't a problem.

Is there a setting somewhere in WSJT-X, JTAlertx or RTTY RU contest log that will correct this?

John - K9IJ

--
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !

k9ij@pt40.net
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/01/2019 9:59 am, John K9IJ wrote:
I'm not sure where this belongs.

Everything seems to be working except one. There seems to be some confusion as to mode.

In ru contest log, there are two mode fields.  There is a Mode (tst) field and a Mode field.
When JTAlertsx logs a qso, both fields are populated with DIG. When the contest log is
transfered to ACLog post contest and uploaded to LOTW, The mode wants to be FT8.

The mode field in extra qso data can be edited to show FT8 and then FT8 will show up in the Recent
Contacts rather than DJG. When runniing FT8 with WSJTx and JTAlertx outside of contest mode, this
isn't a problem.

Is there a setting somewhere in WSJT-X, JTAlertx or RTTY RU contest log that will correct this?

John - K9IJ
John,

JTAlert constructs the log QSO command for N3FJP Contest Logs using the correct mode, FT8.

Contest log is doing the translation to "DIG". Contest Log has two mode fields in the log schema, "fldMode" and "fldModeContest", both which get populated by default as "DIG". I wonder if this is a defect, I would expect that "fldMode" would record the true logged mode.

I just now did a test and the only way I was able to get "FT8" to be logged, instead of "DIG" was to use the Mode override setting of Contest Log (via the Mode menu).

After making the above change, the "fldMode" in the log recorded FT8. Perhaps this is what you need to do.

One issue I found with the above override, is that is doesn't stick. If you restart Contest Log, the above settings revert to off and logging "DIG" to the "fldMode" column of the log file. I don't know if this is a design feature or defect.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John K9IJ

Thanks Laurie,

I don't now how I missed that. I looked through all of the settings in all 3 programs but I overlooked that option.
That solved the mode problem.

As a long time support engineer, I can really appreciate your quick response to user problems in the middle of
a contest.

Vy 73
John  - K9IJ

[...]

Scott Davis

Hi All,

It was my intention to have ARRL RTTY accept the digital mode that JTAlert sends over immediately before JTAlert sends the command to log the QSO.  I thought I had that working.  I will definitely give it a fresh look and correct that in the next revision.

In the mean time, please use Mode Override to designate the mode for any QSOs that are not RTTY (and remember to reenable it if you close and restart the software).

I apologize for the inconvenience.

73, Scott
N3FJP

k3np@...

Scott, I noted when I started today--before I had correctly set up JTAlert--that when I logged a QSO, it did get recorded as FT8 in your RTTY log program. That was when I was still having JTAlert set to "local PC" in the API settings. This was also at the same time where the state wasn't getting from WSJT-X to the log, an dI sought out help to fix that. Once I read the JTALert help file and set my API settings in JTALert to a networked PC, my state logging issue was resolved--but it started logging QSOs with the mode as DIG.

So which should my log entries reflect once this contest is all over? Should they be getting logged as FT8, or DIG?

Thanks! 73!

Andy K3NP

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/01/2019 3:26 pm, k3np@... wrote:
before I had correctly set up JTAlert--that when I logged a QSO, it did get recorded as FT8 in your RTTY log program. That was when I was still having JTAlert set to "local PC" in the API settings.
That was because JTAlert was using an ACLog structured logging command and Scott's loggers use very similar API commands for logging. However, The Contest log has a new command for logging the contest exchange (not supported by ACLog) and JTAlert required the Remote PC setup (per the instructions) to issue the correct command for the Contest Log enabled (each of the three supported Contest Logs require different logging commands). While your initial incorrect setup logged the correct Mode, you would have found that it didn't log the State of your received exchange.

de Laurie VK3AMA

neil_zampella

I trust that everyone remembers that when the log is exported in Cabrillo format, the ARRL contest system expects to see DG as the mode used for digital, vice RY for RTTY.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Scott Davis

Hi Laurie,

I pinged you direct on this with a possible solution for the future, this morning.  Zero rush, just making sure my e-mail didn't get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks for all!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Ron W3RJW

Edited

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 01:08 PM, neil_zampella wrote:

I trust that everyone remembers that when the log is exported in Cabrillo format, the ARRL contest system expects to see DG as the mode used for digital, vice RY for RTTY.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Hi Neil,

Don't think this is an issue ... Looks like the Cabrillo log generator changes the Mode (MO) to DG for all FT8 contacts (and I suspect all other digital modes) ...  At least this what happened when I converted my "Contest Log" to Cabrillo for export ...

Ron, W3RJW