Topics

locked 23 second JTAlert startup time

KD7YZ Bob

Windows 10-Pro x64
JTAlert 2.16.13 WSJTx 2.2.2

I run three instances of both.
The first instance of JTAlert ALWAYS takes circa 23 seconds to start.
The remaining two roughly 4-6 seconds individually.

I start JtAlert manually, waiting for the first one to finish. Then the
next and then the last.

It doesn't matter if I stop ALL and any A/V or other malware scanners.
HAMAPPS folder is listed as don't scan; JtAlert is the same.

If I stop all three JTAlert ... then begin the three again, the first
one takes 23 or so seconds to get started.

It doesn't matter time time of day or night.

So, since it's quite obviously NOT JTAlert, then someone gimme a hint
what computer setting I have messed up. This has been going on for at
least a month or so ... I've lost track of when I noticed it.

tnx

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

Bill Barrett

The first instance is reading the database from your log. The second
and additional instances get the data from cache.

--
Bill Barrett
352-437-4758

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/23/2020 08:02, Bill Barrett wrote:
The first instance is reading the database from your log. The second
and additional instances get the data from cache.
Well, Well! I am ignorant vis-a-vis JTAlert machinations I guess, Bill.
Many thanks indeed!

So I guess if my DxKeeper mdb is 13000 kb then that's a lot of reading-in .

tnx again.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 23/09/2020 7:41 pm, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
Windows 10-Pro x64
JTAlert 2.16.13 WSJTx 2.2.2

I run three instances of both.
The first instance of JTAlert ALWAYS takes circa 23 seconds to start.
The remaining two roughly 4-6 seconds individually.

I start JtAlert manually, waiting for the first one to finish. Then the
next and then the last.

It doesn't matter if I stop ALL and any A/V or other malware scanners.
HAMAPPS folder is listed as don't scan; JtAlert is the same.

If I stop all three JTAlert ... then begin the three again, the first
one takes 23 or so seconds to get started.

It doesn't matter time time of day or night.

So, since it's quite obviously NOT JTAlert, then someone gimme a hint
what computer setting I have messed up. This has been going on for at
least a month or so ... I've lost track of when I noticed it.

tnx

-- 73 Bob KD7YZ

Bob,

This sounds like PC protection interference to me.
Does your protection software go online to perform an analysis of suspect files? If so that would account for such a lengthy startup delay.

How long does it take for the "Reading Settings Data" window to display? It should appear within 1 second or less.

On 23/09/2020 10:02 pm, Bill Barrett wrote:
The first instance is reading the database from your log. The second
and additional instances get the data from cache.
Bill,

Sorry, while the log caching mechanism you describe exists within JTAlert and is core to its operation, it is not part of the JTAlert startup. There are no log lookups performed at startup.

de Laurie VK3AMA

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/23/2020 16:52, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

Sorry, while the log caching mechanism you describe exists within
JTAlert and is core to its operation, it is not part of the JTAlert
Oy. Just when I was resigned to accept the strange delay.
Thanks Laurie for clarifying.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/23/2020 16:52, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

This sounds like PC protection interference to me.
Does your protection software go online to perform an analysis of
suspect files? If so that would account for such a lengthy startup delay.
As best as I am able to verify, I manually shut off system wide
protection(s). In-so-much as I get a 'Nag" from windows Defender for a
day telling me that NO protection is activated would I like to turn
Defender back on.

How long does it take for the "Reading Settings Data" window to display?
It should appear within 1 second or less.

I started 'process explorer" as seen in screenshot ...JtAlert then
JTalertmanager begins the well within a second, 'reading settings... "
appears ... then there's the 20 second delay

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/23/2020 16:52, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 23/09/2020 7:41 pm, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
How long does it take for the "Reading Settings Data" window to display?
It should appear within 1 second or less.

Thanks to Mike W9MDB for logging onto my computer and doing some sleuthing.

It seems, a while back, I'd played around with JTAlert "Auto-Start"
features.

They were still active.

In a way...

Unbeknownst to me, the "Programs" I had JTAlert attempt to launch, were
.LNK's (AKA shortcuts) or they were .bat's

well it seems JTAlert AutoStart quietly skipped over the shortcuts
without saying a peep then dutifully executed the 20 or 30 second
intervals I had put in.

Ida never suspected this since all I saw was 'nothing' until JTAlert
finally started.

So there y'all go. My bad !

5 or 6 seconds now is the norm.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 25/09/2020 9:14 am, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
Thanks to Mike W9MDB for logging onto my computer and doing some sleuthing.

It seems, a while back, I'd played around with JTAlert "Auto-Start"
features.

They were still active.

In a way...

Unbeknownst to me, the "Programs" I had JTAlert attempt to launch, were
  .LNK's (AKA shortcuts) or they were .bat's

well it seems JTAlert AutoStart quietly skipped over the shortcuts
without saying a peep then dutifully executed the 20 or 30 second
intervals I had put in.

Ida never suspected this since all I saw was 'nothing' until JTAlert
finally started.

So there y'all go. My bad !

5 or 6 seconds now is the norm.

-- 73 Bob KD7YZ

Thanks for the update and thanks to Mike W9MDB.

de Laurie VK3AMA