Topics

locked option for auto scan and rebuild?

z_ kevino

I was trying to help a friend who keeps forgetting they have to scan log and rebuild. After the 3rd time or so this year, I began to wonder if there is, or could be, an option where the program scans the logs and rebuilds its lists on a regular basis, either at program startup, or some other time?
I think that would be a really helpful feature, and would ask for its consideration.
thank you 
Kevin, KK4YEL

on5po

A simple solution, your friend must eat more fish, it's good for the memory

De : Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> de la part de z_ kevino <z_kevino@...>
Envoyé : samedi 14 juillet 2018 09:32
À : Support@HamApps.groups.io
Objet : [HamApps] option for auto scan and rebuild?

I was trying to help a friend who keeps forgetting they have to scan log and rebuild. After the 3rd time or so this year, I began to wonder if there is, or could be, an option where the program scans the logs and rebuilds its lists on a regular basis, either at program startup, or some other time?
I think that would be a really helpful feature, and would ask for its consideration.
thank you 
Kevin, KK4YEL

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 14/07/2018 5:32 PM, z_ kevino wrote:
thank you 
Kevin, KK4YEL
Kevin,

An automated Scan Log would be undesirable. It can be a lengthy process, depending on the PC environment and would be considered intrusive if it was to automatically occur and delay the completion of the JTAlert startup.

A better option would be an auto-popup notice advising the user that Scan Log operation is overdue, that is, it hasn't been run within the last x days, where x would be user-settable or disabled. This is now on the todo list, but it may be awhile before it is available.

A Scan Log is worthless if the Logger against which the scan is performed is not routinely updated with the latest QSL confirmations (card, eQSL, LoTW). If a user is neglecting to run the Scan Log, then it is likely they are not updating their log either, IMO.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi there,

To be honest, I have always wondered why such an important step for the proper functioning has been left as a manual task. I am sure that Laurie must have had a good reason for making it so. I wonder what it could b e? I am asking out of genuine interest and not to be "funny" or sarcastic.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/07/2018 5:45 PM, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:
Hi there,

To be honest, I have always wondered why such an important step for the proper functioning has been left as a manual task. I am sure that Laurie must have had a good reason for making it so. I wonder what it could b e? I am asking out of genuine interest and not to be "funny" or sarcastic.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
Simple,

There is no point running a Scan Log & Rebuild if the master log has not been updated with its most recent QSL confirmations by either manually updating with cards received or by syncing with eQSL or LoTW to get their most recent confirmations into the log.

The vast majority of users only consider something as no longer needed after they have a QSL confirmation, simpy working a station is not enough.

The reason for the manual scan, JTAlert has no way of knowing if a user has performed their Logger QSL maintenance, so it is appropriate that the Scan is initiated by the user after they have performed their log maintenance.

Another reason is that the Scan
can be a lengthy process, depending on the PC environment and would be considered intrusive if it was to automatically occur and delay the completion of the JTAlert startup.

The future JTAlert V3 will likely offer automatic Scan at startup as the code is multi-threaded with most long-running processes running asynchronously (ie in the background) so there would be no impact to the user experience. Implementing the Scan as a background process into the current JTAlert V2 code is possible (look at all the plugin files of JTAlert, they all run in the background), but is not a trivial task and I would rather not spend time on it for a version of JTAlert that will eventually be replaced.

de Laurie VK3AMA

on5po

Hello guy,
If you unfortunately forget a beginner element in the configuration, you risk losing all the contacts made with OMs who are not members "lotw and Eqslcc"
They are right not to engage the automatism

ON5PO, Specia Giovanni

De : Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> de la part de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT <guy@...>
Envoyé : lundi 16 juillet 2018 09:45
À : Support@HamApps.groups.io
Objet : Re: [HamApps] option for auto scan and rebuild?

Hi there,

--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a most comprehensive answer.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

z_ kevino

If the version is replaced with new code, then by all means please wait. Now that your software can read / interface with external databases, like the one in ACLog, many times the external source is updating the eSQL / LoTW confirmations. If that happens while JT Alert is up, then JT Alert never knows there was a change, and may keep reporting a state or DX as needed. Hence the reason for my original inquiry.
Thank you for all of the replies. If implemented, it would be super awesome. And I can tell you, Laurie is smart enough to make it an option, not forced on all end users, so ON5PO don’t worry.

-Kevin (KK4YEL)

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/07/2018 9:41 PM, z_ kevino wrote:
Laurie is smart enough to make it an option, not forced on all end users.

-Kevin (KK4YEL)
Kevin,

It has always been by policy that when a new function or changed function operation is introduced, that change, by default, will not change the user experience compared to JTAlert prior to the change. Using the Scan Log as an example, when an auto-scan option is added, the default will be for that option to be disabled and the user who wants that capability has to make a deliberate action to enable the option.

de Laurie VK3AMA