Topics

locked B4 Not Working for Some of Us

David <k6dma@...>

Laurie and company,

I have seen this topic flash by several times with all the comments basically saying that there is something wrong with your logging software - in my case Ham Radio Deluxe, current version.

I am offering up proof that this is NOT the case.

The two screen shots are showing JT Alert where the check boxes show CO8LY as being working on 18 mhz, but not showing B4.

Originally the log showed that I had worked CO8LY on four separate bands, including 18 mhz.  I did try updating the log entry manually using the tool in HRD.  Nothing really changed of course.  No change in the B4 display (or lack of).

Then I re-worked CO8LY and got the fifth log entry showing him again and now the station shows up as "B4".

OBTW:  WSJT-X did show the station in green as having been worked.

I agree that the station is (probably) not in the B4 database.  Please do not try to tell me that there is something wrong with HRD Logging.

There are those of us who have this problem with certain (seemingly) random stations.  How do we fix it without reworking ever contact.  I haven't actually made a tally of those showing incorrectly, but I'd guess somewhere around 20 to 30 percent, so the number is not all that small.

Any help or ideas.

PS:  I did see something about running an ADIF import, but I see no where to import anything into JT Alert without having some sort of knowledge of MS Access.

PSS:  All programs (except HRD) have been completely deleted and reinstalled at least twice, with reboots.  No change.  All software is at the most recent version(s).

Thank you and 73,
David K6DMA
San Diego, CA, USA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/06/2018 11:21 AM, David wrote:
[...]

David,

Firstly, get the idea of a B4 database and importing out of your head. There is one, but it doesn't apply to you or anyone else running JTAlert against one of the supported Loggers, it only applies to those NOT using a logger. Your logging to HRD and that is where the B4 checks are done, always has and always will.

Secondly, don't take hires pictures of the different Windows using you mobile phone, take a screen-capture of the window directly (this facility has been part of Windows since the first Windows version (pre win 95)), Google if you don't know how. It is often difficult to view photos that of off-centre and tilted. and if the pictures are too high-res, the Forum software will try and rescale and often make them unreadable.

Thirdly, repeated uninstall and reinstall of multiple software packages is not going to fix your problem and has the potential to break software if care is not taken.

Fourthly, I make no claim there is a problem with HRD with respect to B4 reporting. Hundreds of JTAlert /HRD users have no B4 reporting problems.

Regarding the specific of your apparent B4 inconsistencies.
  • You have your first 17m QSO with C08LY in March 2018 and the second in June 2018 which didn't show the B4. The explanation for this is you have the ARRL Grid chase enabled in JTAlert. The Grid Chase rules allow for working the same Station/Grid every month so JTAlert wont flag the March QSO as a B4 because it is now June and CO8LY can be worked again for Grid Chase credit.

  • After your June logging, he correctly shows as a B4 (as you reported), but come July, he will not. Turn off the Grid Chase unless you are participating in the Chase then the B4 behaviour your experiencing is valid and correct.

de Laurie VK3AMA

David <k6dma@...>

You know, I can accept a certain amount of angst from developers as I used to be one myself in a long dead script.  However, I find your comments to be a bit out of line in helping the rest of us understand how to resolve problems that we see.  Nor did I see mention of that fix that in the forums, but frankly there is just too much to read.  I like to use my radio equipment not try to digest the internet.

Thank you for your assistance in any case.

On 10/06/2018 12:20 PM, David wrote:
You know, I can accept a certain amount of angst from developers as I used to be one myself in a long dead script.  However, I find your comments to be a bit out of line in helping the rest of us understand how to resolve problems that we see.  Nor did I see mention of that fix that in the forums, but frankly there is just too much to read.  I like to use my radio equipment not try to digest the internet.

Thank you for your assistance in any case.

Sorry you feel that way. Your original post had as its second line.. "I am offering up proof that this is NOT the case". You were wrong and I was a bit defensive, sorry.

Keeping it short for you...
Turn off the Grid Chase unless you are participating in the Chase then the B4 behaviour your experiencing is valid and correct.

BTW, Grid Chase apparent B4 anomalies have been discussed numerous times within the forum.

Good Luck.
de Laurie VK3AMA