Topics

locked JTAlert 2.11.3 with DXKeeper - name & QTH not retrieving #DXLAB

kb5nhm@...

Hello,

Reaching out for help after two days of trying to get this working and going nuts!  Can anyone please help?!

Just got a new computer running Windows 10.  Downloaded JTAlert 2.11.3 and DXKeeper 14.5.7.  Using WSJT-X 1.8.0-rc2.  Using HamCall database on local machine (NOT using web lookups).

When I log new QSO's the WSJT-X Log QSO popup appears, I enter the notes, and press OK.  The QSO populates DXKeeper with an entry but does not populate name & QTH.  On DXKeeper, if I click the "CBA" button, the name and QTH information is retrieved and I can save the entry.

Here's the part that's driving me nuts:  on my old Windows 7 machine with JTAlert 2.10.3 and DXKeeper 14.4.3, the name and QTH values would populate in DXKeeper with no problem.  Everything worked as it should.

And I'm not making this up:  during one (of many) install/uninstall iterations to get the name & QTH working on the Windows 10 machine, I got it working.  I should have left well enough alone, but I didn't like the folder name I chose and started over.  Now when I reinstall JTAlert, the machine remembers my callsign and other settings even though I think I'm starting from scratch.  I have a hunch there's a settings file or something cached somewhere, but I can't locate it.

On JTAlert settings, Logging-->Logging Options is checked for "Log full name returned from XML lookups" and "Log full QTH returned from XML lookups", even though I'm looking on the local machine for HamCall data.  I've compared all the checkboxes and options from the previous JTAlert to the new JTAlert.  Is there something else I'm missing?

I can log a new QSO via DXKeeper standalone and the name & QTH info populates all the fields.

Can anyone help me get JTAlert to populate DXKeeper as intended???  Am I missing a setting or something?

Thank you!
Jim
KB5NHM

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 8/06/2018 11:25 AM, kb5nhm@... wrote:
[...]

Jim,

JTAlert will only populate the Name and QTH fields is if it has the data. That data comes from either a DXKeeper lookup and their is a previous QSO in the log for that Callsign with that data OR from an XML lookup.

You need to enable one of the XML services if you want JTAlert to populate this unknown data automatically.

JTAlert doesn't use a local HamCall install and has never supported it.

If in the past you were getting Name/QTH data for new QSOs (that is Callsigns not already in the log) then you must have been using one of the online XML services, there is NO other way for the data to get populated automatically.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Reaching out for help after two days of trying to get this working and going nuts! Can anyone please help?!

Just got a new computer running Windows 10. Downloaded JTAlert 2.11.3 and DXKeeper 14.5.7. Using WSJT-X 1.8.0-rc2. Using HamCall database on local machine (NOT using web lookups).

When I log new QSO's the WSJT-X Log QSO popup appears, I enter the notes, and press OK. The QSO populates DXKeeper with an entry but does not populate name & QTH. On DXKeeper, if I click the "CBA" button, the name and QTH information is retrieved and I can save the entry.

Here's the part that's driving me nuts: on my old Windows 7 machine with JTAlert 2.10.3 and DXKeeper 14.4.3, the name and QTH values would populate in DXKeeper with no problem. Everything worked as it should.

+ Did you move your DXKeeper settings from your Windows 7 machine to your Windows 10 machine?

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/MovingBetweenPCs>

+ If not, the appropriate Callbook settings for "using HamCall database on local machine" are described here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CallbookLookup>

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

neil_zampella

Plenty of good advice in previous posts, but I'm going to add one more.    Upgrade to the latest WSJT-X version 1.9.1, there have been a great number of improvements over the v1.8.0 final release, and vastly better changes over that beta release candidate you're using.    And if you're thinking of trying to work the Baker Island DXPedition, you're going to need v1.9.1, because earlier versions does not have DXPedition mode.

Neil, KN3ILZ

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 8/06/2018 12:57 PM, neil_zampella wrote:

Upgrade to the latest WSJT-X version 1.9.1, there have been a great number of improvements over the v1.8.0 final release, and vastly better changes over that beta release candidate you're using.    And if you're thinking of trying to work the Baker Island DXPedition, you're going to need v1.9.1, because earlier versions does not have DXPedition mode.

Neil, KN3ILZ
Good advice Neil.

When examining the spot logs on HamSpots, it always surprises me the large number coming from people still running the different 1.8.0 rc and 1.9.0 rc releases, none of which will work with the new Fox/Hound mode needed to work future Dxpeditions.

de Laurie VK3AMA

kb5nhm@...

Thanks for the info to all who posted.  Laurie, OK on how the name & QTH is pulled, definitely helps my troubleshooting!

Dave, I'll follow the transfer instructions.  (Probably going to uninstall everything, then start over.)  And will get the latest WSJT-X version.

Lastly, I did see the posting by Dennis (N1RDN) about XML lookups and a firewall issue, so I'll keep that in mind:  https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/topic/19306591#20065

Jim
KB5NHM