locked JTAlert settings not showing

Simon de Tute

Edited

Hi all just turned PC on fired up JTAlert and when all had loaded noticed no settings on the top of JTAlert program any ideas have reinstalled but no joy

Any suggestions as to whats gone wrong?

Dave Garber

not sure what turned off the top line view, but hit f2 key, see if your settings are all still there.   if not check you install, maybe windows updated??  what version jtalert are you using

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 1:25 PM, Simon de Tute <m6twx@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi all just turned PC on fired up JTAlert and when all had loaded noticed no settings on the top of JTAlert program any ideas have reinstalled but no joy

Any suggestions as to whats gone wrong?

Simon de Tute

Ok hit F2 the band activity window came up but seperately no settings there either

Was working ok then wen out came back no windows update and its ver 2.10.17

its weird but i am guessing windows as i uninstalled delted the foldert in appdata and cleared all from registry re installed and still no settings

Seb

I have the same problem.  I’m on the Windows 10 fast ring, so perhaps that has something to do with it.  I’m on version 1803 OS Build 17666.1000 64-bit.  And JT-Alert is version 2.10.17.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS

On May 12, 2018, at 4:40 PM, Simon de Tute <m6twx@...> wrote:

Ok hit F2 the band activity window came up but seperately no settings there either

Was working ok then wen out came back no windows update and its ver 2.10.17

its weird but i am guessing windows as i uninstalled delted the foldert in appdata and cleared all from registry re installed and still no settings
_._,_._,_

Simon de Tute

Yes same here bloody weird

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/05/2018 6:52 AM, Seb wrote:
I have the same problem.  I’m on the Windows 10 fast ring, so perhaps that has something to do with it.  I’m on version 1803 OS Build 17666.1000 64-bit.  And JT-Alert is version 2.10.17.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS
Sounds very much like Windows has broken one or more of its standard api functions associated with DWM (Desktop Windows Manager) which JTAlert uses to place menus into the non-client area (the title bar) of the window.

Is the JTAlert title and icon still visible or are they missing as well? Also, i
s the Band activity still shown in the title-bar?

Does a PC restart correct the problem? If not, what about rolling back your Windows version (if possible)?

If still no luck, try running JTAlert in XP SP3 compatibility mode (which avoids the DWM function calls) by setting the compatibility in the properties of the JTAlert shortcut.

Let me know how you get on with this.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Simon de Tute

Hi Laurie

Hope your well

Compatability mode worked to a degree except title bar was black and only knew that the items ie settings and band map were there by clicking incrementally along bar but there was no shutdown  so had to close via task manager

Both of us are on the beta team for Windows 10

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 19/05/2018 9:44 AM, Simon de Tute wrote:
Hi Laurie

Hope your well

Compatability mode worked to a degree except title bar was black and only knew that the items ie settings and band map were there by clicking incrementally along bar but there was no shutdown  so had to close via task manager

Both of us are on the beta team for Windows 10
Simon,

Thanks for the update.

Definitely sounds like the new Windows release has broken something. While it has not happened to JTAlert before, there have been numerous examples of past Windows Insider builds breaking software functionality.

Downgrading your Windows version is the only solution that comes to mind at this time, sorry.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Brian (N2MLP)

Running newest windows release  64b no problems

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

On 19/05/2018 9:44 AM, Simon de Tute wrote:

Hi Laurie

Hope your well

Compatability mode worked to a degree except title bar was black and only knew that the items ie settings and band map were there by clicking incrementally along bar but there was no shutdown  so had to close via task manager

Both of us are on the beta team for Windows 10

Simon,

Thanks for the update.

Definitely sounds like the new Windows release has broken something. While it has not happened to JTAlert before, there have been numerous examples of past Windows Insider builds breaking software functionality.

Downgrading your Windows version is the only solution that comes to mind at this time, sorry.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Simon de Tute

Windows is going to release the last version which broke my JTALERT never mind I have no way of going back now as another release has come in now and I am certainly not resetting my machine. Never mind I will have to stop using JTALERT

Thanks anyway Laurie

On 19/05/2018 10:35 AM, Simon de Tute wrote:

Windows is going to release the last version which broke my JTALERT never mind I have no way of going back now as another release has come in now and I am certainly not resetting my machine. Never mind I will have to stop using JTALERT

Thanks anyway Laurie

Just now upgraded my development PC and Ham PC to the latest public (non insider) release, Win10 1803, without issue.

Since there have been no other complaints of broken JTAlert, I can only assume, the fault lies with the Win10 Insider preview releases. By their nature, the Insider releases should be considered beta quality and past experience suggests this is the case with other non-JTAlert apps also being broken at different times by these releases (depending on the version), eg DXLab with on and off broken DDE comms within different Insider builds.

Sorry, due to the frequency and quality (lack of) of the Insider builds, I wont be spending time trying to debug Microsoft defective coding. I will however revisit this if the broken JTAlert behaviour occurs with a public (non-Insider) release of Win10.

I can confirm on the latest Insider Preview build 17672 that everything to the right of the title is gone.  I've submitted a bug report to Microsoft.

de Mike W9MDB