locked JTAlert v2.10.17 is infected with a virus?

Graham Alston

My anti-virus (eSet) refuses to download it.

When you run the www.virustotal.com test on the hamapps download site it is failing with detected viruses.

73 Graham VK3GA

neil_zampella

It is NOT failing with 'detected' viruses .. if you check the link to the Virustotal results on the file there are only 4 that say its a virus.  Symantec (Norton), McAfee, and Trend Micro.     All those 'virus' detections are their 'default' responses for finding something that looks like a virus, but we can't be sure.

The McAfree GW version even says "BehavesLike.Win32.AdwareFileTour.rc" ... behaves like !!!     

You need to look at the others that did not find anything as they have JT-Alert as a validated program:  Avast, AVG, BitDefender, F-Prot, F-Secure.  EVEN MICROSOFT Defeater, er Defender passes it.

Disable your antivirus, download, install, then turn your AV back on.

Neil, KN3ILZ

m_scot_alex

I'm curious - you found your way here to post this, but you missed the pinned posts or couldn't do a simple search?

https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/topic/faq_suspected_virus_malware/5616062?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,5616062

Mike - N8MSA

Brad Rich <brad.rich@...>

Why can’t this group fully understand that JTAlert is safe.  AV just looks for patterns and there may be some coincidences.  The only payload JTAlert delivers is a great running application.

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io [mailto:Support@HamApps.groups.io] On Behalf Of Graham Alston
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:58 PM
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: [HamApps] JTAlert v2.10.17 is infected with a virus?

My anti-virus (eSet) refuses to download it.

When you run the www.virustotal.com test on the hamapps download site it is failing with detected viruses.

73 Graham VK3GA

chas cartmel

Mike,

I agree with your comment about searching for answers to the virus identified issue before raising a query on here, but if you use a mail engine such as MS Outlook (MS Office) pinned posts are never seen as you do not use any web interface.

I am in favour of putting a very clear message on the download or install process posting the details of that FAQ and not a link to it that people will not read. Perhaps a message box which needs to have a ‘Read and understood’ checkbox before progressing might help.

No doubt people will fail to read that as many times as they fail to read other posts on the subject in this reflector.

Why do people need to be told to use their initiative ?

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

Twitter:@ccartmel

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io [mailto:Support@HamApps.groups.io] On Behalf Of m_scot_alex
Sent: 25 April 2018 14:21
Subject: Re: [HamApps] JTAlert v2.10.17 is infected with a virus?

I'm curious - you found your way here to post this, but you missed the pinned posts or couldn't do a simple search?

https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/topic/faq_suspected_virus_malware/5616062?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,5616062

Mike - N8MSA

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Michael Black

Perhaps we need a bit "Note" above the download for JTAlert....

"JTAlert frequently causes false alarms on virus software.  You may have to disable your antivirus to install and place an exception on the JTAlert program folder.  Or you can wait until the virus vendors update their definitions which may take a few days to weeks or more".

de Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 8:53:22 AM CDT, chas cartmel <chas@...> wrote:

Mike,

I agree with your comment about searching for answers to the virus identified issue before raising a query on here, but if you use a mail engine such as MS Outlook (MS Office) pinned posts are never seen as you do not use any web interface.

I am in favour of putting a very clear message on the download or install process posting the details of that FAQ and not a link to it that people will not read. Perhaps a message box which needs to have a ‘Read and understood’ checkbox before progressing might help.

No doubt people will fail to read that as many times as they fail to read other posts on the subject in this reflector.

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io [mailto:Support@HamApps.groups.io] On Behalf Of m_scot_alex

Mike - N8MSA

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...>

Which is why for the most part antivirus is worse than useless giving false reports and false confidence since it is impossible to keep up to the microsecond with new threats. Forget AV, do not download what you do not know is safe AND HAVE BACKUPS.

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Black via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 09:08

Perhaps we need a bit "Note" above the download for JTAlert....

"JTAlert frequently causes false alarms on virus software.  You may have to disable your antivirus to install and place an exception on the JTAlert program folder.  Or you can wait until the virus vendors update their definitions which may take a few days to weeks or more".

de Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 8:53:22 AM CDT, chas cartmel <chas@...> wrote:

Mike,

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

Mike - N8MSA

Virus-free. www.avg.com

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

Tom Melvin

All

Lets not be too hard on people, even if the OP (or anyone else) reading the FAQ entry  - the very last bit of advice on it is 

….. and post a message to this group.

Having said that I suspect 99% of people will not read it, I do like Charlie’s idea of putting it on the download page - with a link to FAQ post (or it’s own page)

73’s
Tom
GM8MJV

On 25 Apr 2018, at 14:53, chas cartmel <chas@...> wrote:

Mike,

Charlie

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io [mailto:Support@HamApps.groups.io] On Behalf Of m_scot_alex
Sent: 25 April 2018 14:21
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] JTAlert v2.10.17 is infected with a virus?

Mike - N8MSA

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Jim Nuytens

If I had a dollar every time this complaint shows up.... 🤨

John Etling

Even splitting that to $.50 for you $.50 for me... We both could buy new rigs... LOL

73 de K3JAE
JOHN A. ETLING
AFMARS: AFT4WO
Email: k3jae@arrl.org
Benton & Carroll County, TN ARES EC

Email from John Etling and all contents contained herein including any attachment(s) are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed or forwarded to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail of your inadvertent receipt then YOU MUST delete this message and any attachment(s) contained herein from any and all data storage systems. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage, in any manner, related to this message and/or any attachment(s) in part or in full is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Nuytens
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:19

If I had a dollar every time this complaint shows up.... 🤨

Jim Denneny

Correction Neil - Windows Defender also blocks it.  Had to turn it off to install.

Jim K7EG

John

No problems here, just did a total reinstall last week of Win 10 due to some
idiot not knowing what he was doing, had to update Win 10/Defender then
reinstall all my SW and configure them, still have some to do yet

John
VE3KKQ

---------- Original Message ----------
Date: April 26, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Correction Neil - Windows Defender also blocks it.  Had to turn it off to
install.

Jim K7EG

Mike Anderson

neil_zampella

Make sure you have the LATEST Defeater virus definitions.

Neil, KN3ILZ

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 27/04/2018 4:49 AM, Mike Anderson wrote:
_._,_._,_

I agree, thread is now locked.

de Laurie VK3AMA