locked JT ALert causing double mouse pointer

N S

This is really strange.   Every time I fire up JT AlertX, it messes up my mouse pointer.

Here's how it works:  I move my mouse pointer to anywhere on the desktop.  I can even click on a different program and have it be the active program.  At this juncture, my mouse pointer is fine.  If I leave my mouse stationary and wait for the progress bar in WSJT-X to reach 10/15, my mouse pointer immediately becomes two mouse pointers (double vision).  They are about 1/4" apart from each other.  If I move my mouse, the pointer immediately goes back to a single pointer until WSJT-X reaches 10/15.

Using the latest versions of both WSJT-X and JT Alert.

This ONLY happens when WSJT-X AlertX is running.   Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Norm

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 30/03/2018 9:19 AM, N S via Groups.Io wrote:
This is really strange.   Every time I fire up JT AlertX, it messes up my mouse pointer.

Here's how it works:  I move my mouse pointer to anywhere on the desktop.  I can even click on a different program and have it be the active program.  At this juncture, my mouse pointer is fine.  If I leave my mouse stationary and wait for the progress bar in WSJT-X to reach 10/15, my mouse pointer immediately becomes two mouse pointers (double vision).  They are about 1/4" apart from each other.  If I move my mouse, the pointer immediately goes back to a single pointer until WSJT-X reaches 10/15.

Using the latest versions of both WSJT-X and JT Alert.

This ONLY happens when WSJT-X AlertX is running.   Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Norm
Norm,

This is the first report of this sort of behaviour.

Are you sure it is JTAlert causing this?

What happens when you run WSJT-X alone without JTAlert? Does the problem clear?

The only mouse-pointer manipulation code in JTAlert is in changing the pointer to a hand pointer when the mouse is hovered over an icon in the Decodes History window. There is nothing in the code (that I can find) involving the mouse pointer at the end of a WSJT-X T/R period.

I'm betting Windows 7 and a failing video card.

de Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, March 29, 2018, 5:42:44 PM CDT, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

de Laurie VK3AMA

Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...>

REALLY, If it were a video card then why no problem with other programs?

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

[...]

Michael Black

Because video problems show up different ways and a double pointer is one indicator.
Certain conditions will cause these types of problems.

Mike

On Thursday, March 29, 2018, 6:04:12 PM CDT, Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest build.  My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080.  I only experience this when running JT Alert.   When the progress bar at the bottom of the WSJT-X screen gets to about 10/15, the mouse pointer blinks and goes to a double pointer.  Pretty crazy.   I'll try changing the mouse pointer to something else and see if I still have the problem.  I'm running a special large red pointer so that I can see it easier on my screen.  The monitor is a 55" 4k.

Norm

N S

I just changed my pointer.  Now it momentarily flashes to a double cursor and then back to a single every time the progress bar gets to about 10/15.  This happens very quickly.

Does anyone else see their mouse pointer flash briefly?

Norm

Mike Flowers

I get a brief ‘hourglass flash’ around the 9/15 or 10/15 point in each cycle, but no change to my arrow cursor.

I observe this only when JTAlertX is running.   I am running JTAlertX v2.10.15.

JTAlertX is clearly consuming lots of CPU just then, so I watched it under Task Manager.   At about 10/15 each cycle, the process ‘JT TxMSG Plugin. (32 bit)’ appears to be spawned, then exits.

- 73 and good DX de Mike, K6MKF, Past President - NCDXC

On 30/03/2018 11:43 AM, N S via Groups.Io wrote:
I'm running Windows 10 with the latest build.  My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080.  I only experience this when running JT Alert.   When the progress bar at the bottom of the WSJT-X screen gets to about 10/15, the mouse pointer blinks and goes to a double pointer.  Pretty crazy.   I'll try changing the mouse pointer to something else and see if I still have the problem.  I'm running a special large red pointer so that I can see it easier on my screen.  The monitor is a 55" 4k.

Norm
Norm,

One thing I have learned over the years, if there is unexplained Windows behaviour and running Nvidia Cards (I run Dual GTX 980s), sometimes seemingly unrelated problems can be resolved with an install of the latest Nvidia drivers.

Regarding JTAlert, the only thing that JTAlert does towards the end of the WSJT-X T/R period is to bring the WSJT-X window forward of any other windows. You can try turning that off. See the Settings, Applications -> WSJT-X section and turn off the "Enable bring WSJT-X Window to top" setting.

What happens if you keep the text message window open?  Does the mouse pointer behavior change?

de Mike W9MDB

Brad Rich <brad.rich@...>

I check my system and watched at the 10 second point.  A windows blue progress circle flashes and goes way very quickly.  On my system, everything runs with less than 10% CPU utilization.