locked Re: 2.5.0 bug

Ed Wilson

Laurie,

I might have an explanation for needing to restart the PC after installing v. 2.5.0, although I do not fully understand what is happening.

I was running the 2.4 version when I decided to update to v. 2.5.0 I closed v. 2.4 with the X at the top right of the window. I then installed the new version by double-clicking on the icon from the download. I did not seem to have any problems with the installation, but when I started the new version, it would not respond to any mouse clicks. The top part of the JTAlert window was off the top of the screen (I cannot remember how I finally managed to drag it down; the settings lock it to WSJT-X). I then restarted and tried to run it again and it appeared to be working normally.

Sometime after that I invoked the Windows 7 Task Manager for a different reason. I closed down JTAlert and noted that the "Process" JTAlert.exe continued to run. My theory is that somehow the new JTAlert 2.5.0 tried to run with the old process, thus causing the observed behaviour (Aussie spelling?). The shut down killed the old process and apparently the subsequent start-up allowed the new process to run.

I have noticed something else with the 2.5.0 version. If I close it down with the X in the upper right corner of the window, the JTAlert process continues to run and if I then start JTAlert from the shortcut icon, it asks me if I want to start a second instance of JTAlert. I guess that this is really not a bug, but I have not seen this before. I always operate with a single instance of WSJT-X and JTAlert-X.

I will install 2.5.1 soon and report any problems that I might encounter.

Thanks for the software...as always!

Ed, K0KC

To: "HamApps@..." Sent: Friday, November 14, 2014 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: [HamApps] 2.5.0 bug

Laurie,

I am using Avast and JTAlert seemed to install fine today, although I had to add the .exe file to the Avast exclusions list the last time a new version of JTAlert came out and it should still be there.

Ed, K0KC

To: HamApps@...
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2014 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: [HamApps] 2.5.0 bug

On 15/11/2014 7:05 AM, Ed Wilson ed.wilson@... [HamApps] wrote:

I had a similar problem when I first installed this new version. I restarted the computer and all is well (so far).

Ed, K0KC
Tnx Ed,

I don't have an explanation on why a PC restart would be needed. There is nothing in the JTAlert code that would require that.
What Virus/Malware software are you running?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Join Support@HamApps.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.