locked Re: [Ham-Apps] JT-Alert 1.5.9 available - MixW logging & bug-fixes

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups03@...>

Hi Dave,

I can confirm that under Wine (not Windows) 1.5.9 does indeed take much longer to load than 1.5.8.

One of the internal changes to JT-Alert with 1.5.9 was the order in which certain dll files are loaded, specifically, the dll for sqlite support. This dll load was moved to the start of the JT-Alert code (before the GUI is painted to the screen) and appears to be the cause of the observed delay.

I just ran some tests with the sqlite dll load moved to after the GUI painting, while the delay in loading sqlite is still there, it is not apparent since the GUi is now showing. I will email you direct a link to a replacement executable file to test.

Regarding you observation that JT-Alert has typically been slow to load. I believe this is due to the use of Wine. Under Windows and Wine, whenever windows api functions get run, they will often require the loading of specific dll files into memory (eg. user32, kernal32, etc). Once those dlls are loaded, any later function calls are very fast to run as the dll is already in memory. Windows will typically have most of these standard dlls already loaded into memory as the result of having Windows running and other windows programs generating function calls that load the dlls before JT-Alert is even started, so there are none of these dll loading from disk to memory delays when running JT-Alert. However under Wine, most of these dlls are not pre-loaded and only get loaded when JT-ALert makes a specific function call. I believe this is the cause of the slow JT-Alert startup.

de Laurie, VK3AMA

On 06-January-2012 08:16, David wrote:
Laurie...have now got 1.5.9 working but it takes 30 sec to load once i click on the desktop icon....1.5.8 used to take about 10 sec to load

David