From: "Laurie, VK3AMA"
To: Ham-Apps@...
Sent: Sunday, August 4, 2013 3:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Ham-Apps] DXCC Entity Disagreement

Hi Ed,

There are two different processes at play here.
  1. The country name displayed below the decoded callsigns is determined by examining the callsign. These are a "Best Guess" as they don't involve any actual lookup of the specific callsign.
  2. The country name for your current qso partner, shown in the log fields is first determined as per the first method and then updated with the results of a QRZ XML lookup (if enabled) or from a previous Log entry (if available).

Regarding RW0BT, it is first determined as AS Russsia (dxcc 15). The qrz xml lookup returns EU Russia (dxcc 54). The xml lookup is assumed to be the most accurate. I do note however, that eQSL shows as AS Russia and the HamQTH xml lookup also returns AS Russia. Which is correct?

de Laurie VK3AMA

On 3/08/2013 10:33 PM, Ed Wilson wrote:

Laurie,

I worked a station, RW0BT, this morning and I noticed that in the call sign area (at the top of the window) of JTAlert-X that his DXCC entity showed as Russia (AS) and below that in the log info area, he showed as European Russia. I believe that I have observed this discrepancy with Russian stations before, but I cannot give you specific call signs.

Thanks in advance for looking into this!

Ed, K0KC