locked Re: Second sound card recommendaiton

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-10-23 1:44 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
There is no advantage to spending a bunch of money for a fancy sound
card for the digital modes. They don't need it, and you gain nothing.
This is only true when speaking about 16bit CODECs running off a 3.3
or 5V supply. If the sound card has a 24 bit ADC with a higher
voltage reference you can obtain several dB more dynamic range if
the receiver and sound card preamp are well designed (low noise).

This does rule out most of the JA rigs and commodity sound cards but
saying the 24 bit sound cards are of no value is certainly an over-
simplification.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-10-23 1:44 PM, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:
Use the internal sound card for your Windows Sounds (including JTAlert notifications) and use the add-on USB Dongle (about $5.00 on Amazon) for your digital apps. Or buy two dongles, use one for JTAlert and the 2nd for digital apps.
There is no advantage to spending a bunch of money for a fancy sound card for the digital modes. They don't need it, and you gain nothing. I'm using at least 4 of them on assorted computers and they are plug and play, no issues. The little dongles have in and out (audio) and are automatically recognized by Windows as a C-Media device.
No issues at all. They have 3.5 mm stereo in and out.
73, N0AN
Hasan
On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 1:47 PM Jim Cary <JimLCary@... <mailto:JimLCary@...>> wrote:
My computer (Dell Optiflex 7010) has only one sound card and I would
like to add either a second internal one, or an external one in
order to receive sound alerts.  I'd appreciate any recommendations
anyone might have.
Thanks,
Jim
W2SM