locked Re: Feature Request - DXCC Most Wanted rank

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/08/2021 3:32 am, Pete Ritter K5CPR via groups.io wrote:
I doubt that I'm the first to suggest this, but a quick search revealed no other such suggestions, so here goes ...

How about adding the rank on ClubLog's "DXCC Most Wanted List" to the info on the hover-over pop-up?

This is the first request for this.

Performing an online lookup to determine where a decoded station appears in the "Most Wanted" rankings is not suitable for the real-time alerting of JTAlert. It would be more suitable as part of the current online lookups when the DXCall changes. That is limited to the the data gathering & display for the current QSO partner.

JTAlert could mitigate the overhead of an online lookup by caching the lookup results as it currently does for other CPU expensive tasks like log B4 checks & XML lookups.

Having JTAlert from multiple users hitting the ClubLog server, even with local lookup caching, would likely not be appreciated by ClubLog.

JTAlert could eliminate the online-lookups by have the Rankings stored locally in the Callsigns database, my preferred method BTW, but that will require extending the Callsign database schema producing a database that is incompatible with all current JTAlert versions. Extending the Callsign database is currently a work-in-progress project as I have other data I want to include as part of some Alerting enhancements that are planned.

Knowing a station's position in the "Most Wanted" rankings, is in my mind, an "eye-candy" feature, like showing the location of decoded Callsigns on a world map. Both achieve little in working/logging stations, nice to look at, but not adding any real utility to the real-time alerting, IMO.

This is something I will add to the "nice-to-have-but-not-urgent" todo list. It may get elevated from that list when the current Callsign Database redesign project progresses.