locked Re: Signal report - Assumptions are important

Mark Basel <mb02731@...>

Lived the acronyms world of a 2G logistics planner in the AF, It was nuts. Ive seen SIPRnet message traffic that was almost nothing but🤪 glad I XB3'd most of them🥸

On Jun 26, 2021, at 1:45 AM, Laurie, VK3AMA <hamapps.support@vkdxer.com> wrote:

On 26/06/2021 3:40 pm, Jim Cooper wrote:
would you mind defining 'ARO'?

use of acronyms without first defining them
can put many readers at a disadvantage for
understanding your post.

w2jc

[I'm GUESSING it means Amateur Radio Operator]
AROs to me suggests it is coming from some Government department bureaucratic licensing document.

At my local club we are all HAMs, not AROs, which coincidentally has the same number of characters ;-)

While I am proud to call myself a HAM, I do use the phrase "Amateur Radio Operator" when communicating with non-Hams, especially when trying to explain the meaning of my Car registration plates, "VKDXER". I have to explain about Ham (Amateur) Radio, what the "VK" stands for in relation to the thousands of like-minded individuals around the world, and what is "DX" and why I call myself a "DXer". I never have to explain the meaning to another Ham, except for the occasional newly-minted Ham.