locked Re: Possible work-around for NAudio's lack of .Net 5 audio port selection

TomK

Great news re NAudio as it allows your code to run like you want it too. Yeah!

That further obviates any need to understand the rest of this note (for JTA at least).
Feel free to close this message now! Most others should do just that 😊

…. All masochists, read at your own risk  …. It is nothing more than advanced tool ….

Nb. I had called the advanced option “Advanced Audio” when it is really “Advanced Sound”.

Re Windows Audio Sound Settings.

The Advanced Sound option provides an easy way to set an app’s audio paths even if it doesn’t have audio selections.
It acts just like an audio patch panel to reroute audio where you want it to go.
This is a Godsend since 95% of apps I know don’t have their own device selection and rely on the Windows default.

But, again, MOST USERS WILL NEVER NEED THIS!!!

  1. Re Advanced Settings hard to find.
    It took me a while to stumble over the obvious!  It’s hiding in plain sight.
    Alas, there are but a few hits searching for “Windows Advanced Sound Settings”
    In a nutshell, when you open Audio Settings, Advanced Sound is at the BOTTOM.
    For those interested, here’s how I navigate to it: I click Windows search and enter “Audio Settings”

    Sound Settings then appears at the top of my results ….

    The regular Sound Settings panel then opens …

    The option for Advance Sound appears at the very BOTTOM of that panel (green highlighter above)
    I click on that and get the Advanced Sound options as show below …

    My system has a VERY long list of apps. I edited out all those not pertinent to this crowd <laugh>.

    The very first mapping option is that of the Windows Default itself and also System Sounds.
    Most systems would have the Input/Output of those two set to their Microphone/Speakers

    In my nerdy audio setup, I set my default Mic/Speakers to be my virtual mixer, VoiceMeeter.
    Same idea, just different paths. 99% of  users should just leave them set to Mic/Speakers.
    The remapping magic happens with the individual entries for each running app.

    Note that I said “Running”. That is because only running apps will appear in the list.
    No worries. Even if you set an app’s paths then close that app, its remap is retained.
    So, be sure that the apps whose audio you want to remap are running so you can see and set them.

    In the above example, I have WSJT, JTA, and GridTracker running so I can alter their paths.
    Note:  JTA and GT are both set to “Default” (which itself is set at the very top).
    I left them as default since they both have their own device selection (now working).
    Note: FireFox’s output is remapped to “Cable C” which is an input to my virtual mixer.
    That way, I can control and/r mix the audio from Firefox as I see fit.
    Note: My mixer, VoiceMeeter, then maps back to Windows default after its mixing is done.

    Another case where this is handy is where JTA, WSJT and HDSDR are fighting for ports.
    My remapping to different paths (my mixer’s inputs in my case), the conflict is resolved.

    That’s about it. As I said, most people will never need this flexibility but its there and easy to use.

  2. Re funky changes to system?  Nope. Safe, simple, and transparent.
    The remapping is totally transparent and doesn’t alter anything deep under the covers.
    Win simply looks for any audio remaps of an app and reroutes audio accordingly.
    It allows you to set the audio path for any of the currently active apps.
    The app must be active to see it in the list and enter the remap.
    All apps default to the default path as specified at the top of the panel.
    You can then set the app’s desired audio in/out paths (Mic and Speaker).
    Prior to any remapping, each app defaults to the default paths which are set at the very top of that panel.

In  summary, the Advanced Sound options affords you the same flexibility as an app having its own path option – except it even works for all those apps that don’t have their own audio device option.  I think the order of precedence is app path then Win Remap.

KT1TK / TomK / 73