locked Re: Win10 updates and USB device reassignments. I have a theory.

Jim Brown

I keep my PCs updated too, and I generally let them run all the time.  And I still get reassignments. Windoze updates nearly always fail to see the default sound interface on my living room/office machine, which is a USB-connected Mackie Onyx (and often after a reboot). The last two updates on the shack machine, which I initiated after a "warning," reassigned most of the USB ports.

I'm set to reboot on my command, and I shut down all running programs first. I've had bad things happen when I didn't.

73, Jim K9YC

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 4:25 PM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
Laurie,

I do the same as you and I have not had any issues so far.

Robie - AJ4F

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021, 5:47 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
I noted the recent flurry of messages today after the most recent Win10 update causing USB device reassignments. Both my Win10 PCs were updated today without the USB reassignments. In fact, I have never encountered the devices being reassigned as many others have. That got me thinking.

I always keep my PCs updated, I don't permanently postpone Windows updates as some have advocated to avoid the problem. Having an un-updated PC connected to the Internet is asking for trouble, likely more trouble than that caused by device reassignments, IMO. At most I postpone updates for a couple of hours.

Why don't I get these reassignment problems? My theory is that it is due to not allowing Windows to update itself while the PC is in an idle state, like 2 or 3 in the morning, as it typically wants. I have windows set to notify that updates have been download and are ready to apply. I then allow the updates while I am watching the PC, and importantly, all my connected devices are active. That is none of my connected USB devices are asleep or hibernating during the update.

I wonder if Windows is reassigning devices because during its update, devices that it was previously aware of are not found, so reassigns. If all device are connected I suspect Windows will not reassign.

Comments?