locked Win10 updates and USB device reassignments. I have a theory.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

I noted the recent flurry of messages today after the most recent Win10 update causing USB device reassignments. Both my Win10 PCs were updated today without the USB reassignments. In fact, I have never encountered the devices being reassigned as many others have. That got me thinking.

I always keep my PCs updated, I don't permanently postpone Windows updates as some have advocated to avoid the problem. Having an un-updated PC connected to the Internet is asking for trouble, likely more trouble than that caused by device reassignments, IMO. At most I postpone updates for a couple of hours.

Why don't I get these reassignment problems? My theory is that it is due to not allowing Windows to update itself while the PC is in an idle state, like 2 or 3 in the morning, as it typically wants. I have windows set to notify that updates have been download and are ready to apply. I then allow the updates while I am watching the PC, and importantly, all my connected devices are active. That is none of my connected USB devices are asleep or hibernating during the update.

I wonder if Windows is reassigning devices because during its update, devices that it was previously aware of are not found, so reassigns. If all device are connected I suspect Windows will not reassign.

Comments?