locked Re: Important Announcement : The next release of JTAlert requires the .NET 5 desktop runtime

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/04/2021 1:55 am, Charlie Hoffman wrote:
I'm curious as to why the rush to .NET v5.0.5 when v4.8 is the latest supported version?

Why not .NET 4.8 framework? Because it is a totally different code base compared to .NET 5, it is Windows only, while .NET 5 previously called .NET Core (to distinguish it from .NET Framework) is cross-platform.

When I started porting the JTAlert code to C# it was originally targeting .NET Framework 4.7.2. Then 4.8 was released along with an announcement that it was the end-of-the-line for the .NET Framework code. Microsoft had changed its focus to the now Open-Sourced, cross-platform, .NET Core code. When .NET Core 5.0 was released, they dropped the word "Core", and skipped the 4.x version numbers to avoid confusion (that's questionable) with the long existing .NET Framework 4.x series. The end result, we have two totally different, incompatible, code bases, ".NET 4.8 Framework"  and ".NET 5.0".

People tend to ignore the word "Framework" thus the confusion that is rather rampant, not just with end-users but also Developers with many thinking that .NET 5.0 is an update of .NET 4.8, it is not.

Its a long story, much of which I haven't covered.