locked Re: Duplicate HRD Logbook Entries With Invalid Time Stamps from JAlert #HRD

Ronald Panetta, WB2WGH

Laurie, sorry it took so long to get back to you on the correct way to log to HRD. Worked like a champ. I now HRD log via the JTAlert TCP (not UDP) interface. Thanks!

If you want a little bit of the  back story... Started to look in HRD for enabling the TCP interface. Finding none I Google it and found a few of your references. Checked HRD support site and no information on TCP logging other than the middleware authored a few years ago. Finding nothing, I used "netstat -a -b" and confirmed TCP/7826 is opened by HRD by default. Firing up Wireshark (PC network sniffer) on the loopback interface, I saw the TCP/7826 conversation started and upon completing a QSO, I saw the TCP transaction from JTAlert to HRD. At that point I saw 3 duplicate entries in HRD, one from TCP and the other two from JTAlert/UDP and WSJT-X/UDP. I have since disabled the 2 UDP per your suggestion.

I find it interesting the stealth (aka undocumented) nature of the HRD TCP/7826 interface.

Thanks again! 73, Ron WB2WGH

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 1:10 AM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 1/03/2021 5:27 am, Ronald Panetta wrote:
  • The entry with the missing date (shows as 12/30/1899 when you double click on the entry) is from JTAlert. In my case Settings -> Logging -> Last QSO API -> UDP Transmission (enabled and UDP port 2333.
  • The entry with the date is from WSJT-X. In my case Settings -> Reporting -> Secondary UDP Server -> Enabled via IP address 127.0.0.1 port 2333.
  • I log with both as once HRD fixes the bug, I plan to use JTAlert for  logging and disable it in WSJT-X as that shows as deprecated. As stated earlier, I just clean up with the "Refresh"  button.
73, Ron WB2WGH

Ron,

There is no need to wait for HRD to fix their badly broken ADIF parser. The easy fix is to set JTAlert to use HRD logging and leave the WSJT-X secondary server and the JTAlert Last QSO function turned off.

By having JTAlert perform the HRD logging, which happens via the HRDLogbook TCP interface (no direct writing to the log, it is handled by HRD), is that you instantly gain accurate B4 checking against you log and one-click updating of the JTAlert Alert database for the different Alert types, rather than having to manually adjust the Alert settings which is tedious and error (human) prone.

Ron