locked Re: Dozens of WSJT-X config files

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 4/03/2021 6:05 am, Andrew Buza; KF6LU wrote:
Found 406 files. As with others, my dates go back to August 22, 2020

A number of reports of old backup config files not being automatically removed with files dated from August 2020 suggests the JTAlert release made at that time is the likely cause. 2.16.11 was released on 12-Aug-2020. It was a significant release in that it introduced multicast UDP for the first time. Since the old JTAlert AutoIT code does not natively support multicast UDP, a middle-man was coded, JTAlertV2.Manager.exe. This new code replaced the old no-longer-fit-for-purpose plugin system which was also AutoIT coded.

I suspect a permissions issue, or PC protection software interference my be the cause. The config.sqlite file and all the backups of same are created & modified by the main JTAlert process (JTAlert.exe), but the automatic removal of old files is handled by the new JTAlertV2.Manager.exe. Looking at the code, I can't see anything unusual, it is basic stuff, enumerate the files in the config directory, check the last modification date or each file and deleting any that exceed the 7 day threshold.

Either a permissions issue between the two processes, JTAlert.exe and JTAlertV2.Manager.exe or more likely PC protection software preventing the Manager process from deleting files it did not create or modify.

I have added additional debug statements to the cleanup code for the next release. That may shed some light on why this is happening for some users.