locked Re: LOTW data is often wrong

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 25/11/2020 12:42 am, Torsten - DL9GTB wrote:
Sorry that I have not commented on this topic. I was on a business trip and unfortunately had little time. I have now taken a close look at it. The mistake is on my side, JTAlert is doing everything right. I trusted the data from QRZ.com. For example there is no LOTW with the callsigns EB3DIM or M0LMK. But these callsigns are entered in the LOW user list. I'm sorry for the confusion. But I also noticed differences to the data from Gridtracker in the past. Now I've found out why that is the case. I have set the LOTW upload filter to 1 year in the JTAlert settings, but not in Gridtracker. Sorry again for the false alarm, I guess I'm too old for this hobby. :-(

73 de Torsten - DL9GTB
Tnx Torsten.

The problem with QRZ is the LoTW membership flagging does not use the official LoTW membership list. It is left to the individual Callsign owners to set a flag as to whether they use Lotw. In the past I have encountered QRZ listed callsigns that indicate they use Lotw when they don't. There are no checks involved when an owner sets the state of the Lotw membership setting for their callsign. It cannot be relied upon to be reliable.

JTAlert uses the official LoTW membership list provided by the ARRL.