locked Re: Proper Initial Log Setup

Jim Cooper

On 12 Nov 2020 at 21:20, Patrick Hung wrote:

> I started using JT-Alert a few months ago, and unfortunately didn't
> try to find a tutorial or learn more about it before making the
> plunge. Having finally had some time to read up on its intricacies,
> I believe that there is something amiss with my logging, and here
> are the tell-tales:
>
> * When I tried to rebuild the database, it alerted that a log was
> not enabled. I didn't know what to do, so found a way to point it
> straight to my wsjtx.log adif file.
> * As I tinkered with the settings, and for a short while, a small
> popup would appear notifying me of a successful QSO being logged -
> this stopped appearing after I pointed to the wsjt-x adif file.
> * My Wanted States don't seem to work - states I've worked keep
> popping up in an orange background/black font color combo in the
> JT-Alert main window (when new callsign, I think). I have the
> following turned on for alerts: DXCC, Continent, CQ Zone, States;
> I'm trying to work all states.
>
> Searching for an adif file in the JT-Alert folder, I found one, at
> only 1 kb. There is a b4 log, at a few hundred kb's.
>
> I wonder if I have to reinstall, and perhaps lose my existing logs
> on JT-Alert (do I even have one?).
>
> I've been uploading my WSJT-X adif file to LOTW weekly, manually. A
> YouTube video shows HRD as being able to do this automatically, as
> JT-Alert logs each QSO... Is HRD a better way to get QSOs onto LOTW,
> for my WAS goal?
>
> Thanks in advance for helping a JT-Alert noobie.
>
> Patrick
> W2TAR

My suggestion is to go to the Settings page,
select the Logging dropdown, then select the
"Standard ADIF File"

graphic

This will be filled in by JTalert and you can use it to update your various alerts, etc.  I have found this to be much cleaner and easier than trying to 'synch' with some external logbooks.  DON'T use the adif file associated with WSJT-X, or you will get things really messed up !!

As far as getting things to LotW, there are many routes;
MY favorite is to use the QRZ.com Logbook (which I use
for my non-digital logging anyway).

graphic

This will cause JTalert to upload each QSO to QRZ as it is logged by WSJT-X ...  you will need the "XML" subscription at QRZ, but that is well worth it for all the features it provides. When you get that subscription, you will get an
"API Key" code which you enter as shown on the graphic above.

Why do I prefer this solution?  Because it gives me a 'backup' log on QRZ.com, it gives me a place to log non-digital QSOs, QRZ Logbook keeps ALL the details of the QSO (which LotW does not), and the upload from QRZ to LotW is done with 3 mouse clicks!  (once it is set up between QRZ Logbook and LotW).

This arrangement satisfies my needs because I don't try to make JTalert keep track of confirmations of all the categories; LotW does that for me as far as awards, etc.
So the info in the JTalert "Standard ADIF File" keeps track of worked entities including band and mode, and
makes the alerting "easy peasy" ...

Hope that helps.

Jim  W2JC