locked Re: Proper Initial Log Setup

Michael Black

You'll be a lot better off if you use a real logger.

I can recommend Log4OM.  It's free and does what you need for LOTW.  There is a learning curve of course.  What you do NOT want to do is download logs from LOTW or anywhere else and import them...they lack a lot of information.
If your wsjtx adi file is the best one you have right now start with that and import that.  A few mouse clicks will upload the QSOs to LOTW from Log4OM.

If you're working WAS I can also recommend my LOTWQSL program that you'll find on my qrz.com page.  It will show you maps/grids and is easy to update to see what QSLs you've received (both for WAS and DXCC awards).

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, November 12, 2020, 11:20:51 PM CST, Patrick Hung <pathung@...> wrote:

I started using JT-Alert a few months ago, and unfortunately didn't try to find a tutorial or learn more about it before making the plunge. Having finally had some time to read up on its intricacies, I believe that there is something amiss with my logging, and here are the tell-tales:

  • When I tried to rebuild the database, it alerted that a log was not enabled. I didn't know what to do, so found a way to point it straight to my wsjtx.log adif file.
  • As I tinkered with the settings, and for a short while, a small popup would appear notifying me of a successful QSO being logged - this stopped appearing after I pointed to the wsjt-x adif file.
  • My Wanted States don't seem to work - states I've worked keep popping up in an orange background/black font color combo in the JT-Alert main window (when new callsign, I think). I have the following turned on for alerts: DXCC, Continent, CQ Zone, States; I'm trying to work all states.

Searching for an adif file in the JT-Alert folder, I found one, at only 1 kb. There is a b4 log, at a few hundred kb's.

I wonder if I have to reinstall, and perhaps lose my existing logs on JT-Alert (do I even have one?).

I've been uploading my WSJT-X adif file to LOTW weekly, manually. A YouTube video shows HRD as being able to do this automatically, as JT-Alert logs each QSO... Is HRD a better way to get QSOs onto LOTW, for my WAS goal?

Thanks in advance for helping a JT-Alert noobie.

Patrick
W2TAR