locked Re: Republic of North Macedonia

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 8/11/2020 3:32 am, Ron W3RJW via groups.io wrote:
Republic of North Macedonia  ...   Comes up as "N." in my JTA callsign display (i.e. Z34K). The official name of Macedonia.is now Republic of North Macedonia (result of political dispute over the name)

No big deal   When you get around to it.
Ron, W3RJW

Ron,

The use of "North Macedonia" by JTAlert is based the Entity name provided by ClubLog.
I note that the cty.dat file lists "North Macedonia" and the ARRL listing has "North Macedonia (Republic of)".

In the past I relied on the Country name enumeration of the ADIF specs, but that is no longer accurate for a number of Country name changes that have occurred in recent years. I note it has not been updated in this case, still listing as "Macedonia", not "North" or "Republic".

The critical bit of data is the underlying dxcc number. It is immutable, it doesn't change, regardless of the country name changes or spelling.