locked Re: Strange UI phenomenon

Björn SM7IUN

Thanks Laurie, 

Interesting. The problems I have had with audio devices falling asleep have all been possible to 
address via Windows' power management settings. But then I have never used any HDMI audio 
device in a ham radio context.

Asking all users of non-English Windows to use a virtual audio cable (or manually rename their main audio 
device) seems like a somewhat complex solution to the problem that audio device names in JTAlert 
are stored in byte arrays, but if you think this is the best solution I of course respect that.

Björn SM7IUN

Den lör 24 okt. 2020 kl 20:44 skrev HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...>:

On 23/10/2020 5:13 pm, Björn SM7IUN wrote:
Thanks Laurie.

I reported the audio device naming issue here in March and Panos SV1GRN confirmed it.

In the thread the problem was initially believed to be about remembering settings but it 
was really about character sets. Perhaps the later parts of that thread went past you.

The workaround we found was to replace the name of the audio device assigned by 
Windows to a name containing only plain ASCII characters.

Windows' default name for an output audio device contains non-ASCII characters in many 
languages. "Speaker" is "Högtalare" in Swedish etc. If you try to use a device with such a 
name you will get a pop-up "Cannot locate the last used sound output device" every time 
you start the program, forcing you to select it once again. 

JTAlert seems to replace non-ASCII characters in the device name with a question 
mark. (See below). This is the likely reason for it not being correctly remembered.

If you rename your own speaker to something with umlauts or diacriticals you should 
be able to easily reproduce this.


Björn SM7IUN

Thanks Björn

An alternative to renaming the device in Windows (not all drivers allow for that change) is to use a virtual audio device pair like the free version of VB-Audio (https://vb-audio.com/Cable/) and having one end pointing at your device and have JTAlert using the other end.

Somewhat related, some audio devices go to sleep after a period of inactivity and then when coming out of sleep the first part of the sound (that triggered coming out of sleep) is missed. This is very common with Nvidia HDMI devices which go to sleep after only ~ 5 seconds. I have used the VB-Audio pair technique to prevent the HDMI device going to sleep and causing the first part of a sound being truncated.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Join Support@HamApps.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.