From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Barrett
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 7:51 AM
To: Support@hamapps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Any plans to add more RX squares ?

Since I'm only interested in DX I filter out NA and that reduces the displayed calls to a few even on 20M. I would like one added filter to exclude only USA calls since the caribbean is of interest to me.
Finally, would be nice if the filters were selectable for each instance of JTAlert.
Bill W2PKY

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 8:48 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@gmail.com> wrote:

On 25/09/2020 10:15 am, ed.n5dg@gmail.com wrote:

36 RX squares is fine on most bands . 20m and 40m being the busy bands an extra 16 squares would be about right . instead of 4 x 9 squares 4 X 13 would make the width about the same as WSJTX.
Thanks for the great SW , Ed N5DG

Ed,

This has been discussed many time. See
https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/29940

IMHO, 36 displayed Callsigns is TOO many. It is a chaotic mess of multiple colored callsigns. A better option is to filter out most of the unwanted Callsigns. Use the Alert Filters to help reduce the number displayed. Try filtering out B4s and non-alerting callsigns.

A JTAlert window with few callsigns displayed due to filtering makes for a more enjoyable (IMO) experience in the shack. It is less stressful time without trying to decide every 15 seconds which Callsign could be a possible QSO candidate. It is a far less chaotic experience.

The beauty with filtering is that a Callsign that is displayed in JTAlert (has passed the filtering) is likely a good candidate for a QSO. But this approach wont appeal to those more interested in racking up a high QSO count, that is qso "quantity" rather than qso "quality".

Currently, there is code with the Test Team (not yet available for public release) that removes the limit on the number of displayed Callsigns. While this new code allows for more than 36 callsigns, its primary focus is providing a flexible display window without any size restriction (width or height) with flexible sizing comes the additional benefit of increased callsigns displayed. Sorry, there is no ETA on when this will be available publicly.

Bill Barrett
352-437-4758