locked Re: JTAlert 2.16.13 Rebuild Alert Database issue

Jim N6VH

On 9/23/2020 11:14 AM, KL7NW wrote:

After I got signed up for the HamApps.groups.io, I was able to search for more information about this issue.  I found and read the release notes for version 2.16.13.  I didn’t fully comprehend the notes when I did the upgrade, but I assume to correct this issue, I need to check the box "Auto clear triggered Alert entity after logging" for each type of alert and this  issue will be fixed.  It will be nice to let the software handle these needed alerts for me.

Please confirm if I understand this correctly.

Another part of the release notes says:

“2.16.13 (29-Aug-2020)
  *** Includes Callsign database file version 2020-08-29 (2020-Aug-29)”

Does this mean we no longer need to download and install your Alert Database when a new one is available?  Is the database included as part of the install for all new versions of JTAlert going forward?  If this is now an unnecessary step, why did you post a “HamApps.Databases.2020.08.29.Setup.exe” dated the same as JTAlert version 2.16.13?

I really like your product, but these notes didn’t make it very clear what you are doing in the release notes to me and others.  I’m sure whoever wrote it understood exactly what was intended!

Thank you,

John Gieringer / KL7NW

John,

"Auto clear triggered alert" should only be used in situations where you don't need a confirmation. For example, confirmations aren't needed for the Marathon, so I have that box checked in the Marathon alert section. For the awards where you do need a confirmation, don't check that box.

I find the release notes very clear and understandable (and, no, I didn't write them). For example, the section in the notes about Auto Clear Alert Triggers spells out exactly what it does, and is very specific in that it it should only be used in cases where you don't require any confirmation.

As far as the Callsign Database, it is probably there for those who haven't installed the latest version of JTAlert, but need the new database. While I think it is a good idea to keep up to date with the latest version of most programs, not everyone does.

73,

Jim N6VH