locked Re: sound card error message

TomK

Laurie made a good point re use of VB-Audio’s “Virtual Cable” products.

There’s also the Windows Advanced Sound Settings panel that might help you (see further down)

VB Audio’s Virtual Cables

VB Audio’s Virtual Audio Cable  “acts” like a real audio cable connecting input and output devices.

Like a like real-world physical patch cable, applications can send their audio to and get audio input from them.

Just like plugging a physical patch cable from one physical device to another.

The advantage of a Virtual Cable is that you can separately route and control an app’s audio.

The details of this are too lengthy to take up this group’s time on it.

There is a VB-Audio manual on it and there are several YouTube videos that attempt to explain it.

They offer 3 different virtual cables.

  1. 2 virtual routes (A & B)
  2. 2 virtual routes (C & D)
  3. A special Hi-Fi cable for audiophile needing to patch 8 channel surround sound.

Option 1 (A & B) is all you should need if you are a masochist and want to try it <laugh>.

Beware: VB-Audio also makes a full-blown virtual mixing console called Voicemeeter.

It is fairly very complex and comes in 3 versions with an increasing number of channels.

They all are very capable but extremely complex for those not into advanced mixing concepts.

I’m an audio pro and use it for my audio productions but still scratch my head over their configurations.

Windows 10 Advanced Sound Settings

Windows 10, over its last several upgrades, has added an Advanced Sound Settings panel.

It allows you to specific default Input and Output routes for Windows as well as specific ones for each running application.

This can obviate the need for the Virtual Cable.

E.g., you can specify the Input & Output routing for each running app, separately from the default.

You get the panel via Sound Settings > Advanced Settings.

It would have eliminated my need for Virtual Cables had I not had advanced mixing needs.

Good luck on your quest.

TomK  / KT1TK / 73