locked Re: JTAlert 2.16.12 setup questions

TomK

Actually, multicast is now fully supported so that both JTA & GD may communicate with WSJT simultaneously.

Though my deep hack days are over, I have found the following to be relevant and effective.
I’m sure I’ll quickly be corrected if I got something wrong 😉

To use multicast to run WSJT + JTA + GD, you need to do the following to enable multicast:

  1. Configure WSJT to use multicast for its “reporting” UDP message stream.
    To do this, we set WSJT’s reporting UDP *address* (not port) from its default of 127.0.0.1 to any address within 239.00.0 - 239.255.255.255.
    The port can be left the same as it was, e.g., 2237 or whatever.
    I use address 239.0.0.1.  This should work on “most” home networks.  A few with special routing scopes may have issues but is unlikely for most.

  2. Configure JT-Alert to use multicast = Automatic. Nothing to do.
    JTA automatically syncs to WSJT’s reporting UDP address & port.  If address is in 239 range, it will operate in multicast mode.

  3. Configure GridTracker to use multicast
    a. You explicitly set GD’s address and port to the same as WSJT’s reporting settings.
    b. You ALSO need to click the radio-button “multicast” to enable it as it doesn’t imply it.

That should do the trick on most systems without an unusual or complex UDP net routing structure.

KT1TK