locked Re: JTAlert with UDP Multicast support available for testing #Beta

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/08/2020 4:11 pm, Russ Ravella via groups.io wrote:
Just wanted to report I successfully updated JTA to 2.16.10 and have it running together with GridTracker with no issues so far.  It works perfectly as far as I can see.  Thank you yet again, Laurie !

For anyone interested in specific set-up steps, here's what I used:

        - set WSJT-X >Settings>Reporting>UPD Server to

IP = 239.255.0.0, Port = 2334                                          (using the IP Laurie tested with though anything in the MultiCast IP range (239.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255) should work)

- set GT >Settings>General>Receive UDP Messages to

MultiCast?>enable, IP = 239.255.0.0, Port = 2334

(note: GT’s IP box stays yellow for some reason)

- no change to JTA; it detects MultiCast and configures automatically

- either can control WSJT-X and they recognize and display commands set by the other

- restart may be necessary

Russ,

Tnx for the positive report.

- either can control WSJT-X and they recognize and display commands set by the other

The point that many people are missing about multicast is that it allows multiple WSJT-X cooperating applications like JTAlert, DX Aggregator & Grid Tracker to be run simultaneously and independently. Prior to multicast, DX Aggregator and Grid Tracker were dependant on using the JTAlert UDP resend mechanism which didn't support either application directly controlling WSJT-X.