locked Re: Decodes window not always populating

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/06/2020 4:39 am, W4WT wrote:
All other software has no problem with the names.

That's a pretty broad statement. It depends on the software and the computer language used to code the software.

I have 3 different Ham related applications running on my PC that all truncate the sound device names to 32 characters. Common among those applications is that they are mature applications that have been around for many years and use older technology compiler/languages (eg VB6 as an example) to create the application.

Some software authors avoid this by simply restricting the audio to the default Windows playback device (ie no user choice). JTAlert has always offered the flexibility of sound device selection rather than simply restricting playback to the default device.

Currently JTAlert handles long device names by updating the device listing (which is initially restricted to 32 characters) by getting an updated long-name listing from the modern .NET based code of the JTAlertV2.Manager process. It is not ideal, but is all that is available while the main JTAlert program is still coded using an old compiler/language, that wont change until the JTAlertV3 release.