locked Re: Midway?

Jim N6VH

On 6/9/2020 2:26 PM, g4wjs wrote:
On 09/06/2020 22:19, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 10/06/2020 6:39 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Saw this.....but he's in Hawaii and working from a 4 zone.  So how do we get Midway?
2.16.7
I can just put his callsign in WSJT-X and it shows up like this.

Mike W9MDB

The problem is the "/4" AH6P is using.

The JTAlert cty.dat file parsing is returning KH4 which is Midway, I don't know if that is correct or not

If he had signed for the other US cq zones he comes up as..
    Zone 3: AH6P/3 -> KH3 Johnston Island
    Zone 5: AH6P/5 -> KH5 Palmyra & Jarvis Islands

Using DXLab DXView as my gold standard it returns the same results except for no DXCC for AH6P/4

I am not familiar with the US licensing requirements, but is it normal to indicate the operating zone in such a way? I don't recall ever seeing this before, signing using the operating Zone number as a portable suffix.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Hi Laurie,

I believe it is not zone but call area. Once it was required in the days when calls were strictly issued by call area, now calls can be moved at will there's no longer a requirement but it is useful with island entity like Hawaii when operated form the mainland.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill,

Yes, you are right. He is using the /4 to indicate the call area. However, that is interpreted by some logging programs as /AH4, which is Midway. Log4OM v2 (my main logging program) considers AH6P/4 as Midway. Log4Om v1 lists it as Hawaii. N1MM+ shows Midway. DXKeeper, as Laurie already mentioned, doesn't list a country, and asks for a country code to be entered. ACLog lists it as Hawaii.  Swisslog shows Midway. If I enter AH6P/W4, all logs correctly show United States. That would probably be the better call for him to use.

73,

Jim N6VH